Chapter 25: Hunter's Confession

Our school had this weird yearly pre-Halloween tradition called Confession day. True to its name, confession day was a day when all students were given the chance to confess everything they wanted to confess.

It was always scheduled one day before Halloween break and almost everyone at school looked forward to it because aside from a whole day of no classes, confession day always brought juicy gossips that made coming back to school after halloween a bit bearable.

During confession day, students were given free reign of the school. We could send our confession anonymously by writing it on a piece of paper and dropping it inside a box set outside the radio booth. The student DJ would then read them and it would be broadcasted in the whole school.

Some chose to confess in private resulting to an influx of couples right after confession day.

But the main event was always the one that happened inside the auditorium.

During confession day, the school officials would put a microphone in the middle of the stage in the auditorium as a way to tempt students to confess. It was like a challenge. Who would have the courage to confess in front of the whole school?

Almost all of the student population hang out inside the auditorium during confession days for the sole purpose of being witnesses to the best confessions of the day.

After all, the best confessions were uttered by the bravest people.

I had always admired the people who stood on that stage during confession day. It took a lot of courage to say the truth. Lies were comfort but truth was freedom.

I didn't know it at first, but on Confession day, one confession would suddenly turn my whole life upside down.

***

Monday...

Pen dropped her tray on the table with a bang.

"I'll sit here from now on." She announced.

Shawn and I exchanged glances.

"Uh..." I said, not entirely sure what to say.

Shawn and I decided it would be best for everyone if we go back to our usual seat at the backmost part of the cafeteria. After what happened on Friday, it would've felt wrong and awkward to sit in with them during lunch and act like their bestfriend didn't just announce to the whole school that he toyed with me for a hundred bucks.

We didn't account for Pen joining our lonely club.

I glanced at their table right in the middle of the room.

I felt a pang of loss when I saw Hunter's empty seat. Maybe it was just me, but school suddenly felt dull and boring without him here.

Parker, Rush and Cal remain sitted on their usual seats. Natalie and Heather, however, stood up and walked towards our direction to follow Pen. The three boys watched them with neutral expression on their faces.

"We're also sitting here." Heather announced when she arrived.

"You don't have to do that." I murmured under my breath. It wasn't my intention to divide their clique. I didn't want to be the cause of misunderstanding among their group.

I just needed time to heal, that was all.

"The boys are being such assholes. We girls should stick together." Natalie simply said.

She sat beside Shawn and shot him a weary look. Shawn gave her the cold shoulder.

"Well, I guess I'm not needed here." Shawn stood up and walked towards the exit. Natalie's eyes followed him, anxiety clearly reflected on them.