Formal Wear

"You are an independent business man, Baekhyun, and just because you and Chanyeol are together, that doesn't mean that you should forget that," Luhan asserted as he flipped the cafe chairs upside down and began placing them on the tables. It was past closing time, and like usual, it was the only time when Baekhyun could talk about personal things without customers around to eavesdrop. "This isn't high school anymore. She can't bully you, and you shouldn't let her make you feel like you're just sticking around for Chanyeol's money."

"I know. I'm not a child anymore, so it's not that I'm scared of her." Baekhyun sighed. He was tired, and thinking about his boyfriend's family situation was just added stress. "It's just that Chanyeol's very... I don't want to say 'oblivious' because he's not. He knows that there's tension, but I just don't think that he understands completely how I feel."

"Then talk to him?"

"There's no point," the blond muttered, locking the cash register. "He feels like her kindness towards me and this entire wedding trip is her way of making up for everything."

"And what if it is?" Luhan asked.

Baekhyun scoffed. It wasn't possible and it certainly wasn't anything more than hopeful thinking on everyone's part. "It's not--No. Stop. I know it's not. I don't think anything's ever going to change that woman's mind. The best scenario in her mind would be for us to just break up."

"Then don't break up and just think of this wedding trip as a...vacation. I think it'd spite her if you actually went and enjoyed your time."

"It really would," Baekhyun said as he sighed. "But that doesn't make it any less uncomfortable."

"Yeah, but it'll be uncomfortable for her, too," Luhan pointed out. "And you know what else would really make that woman livid?"

The last thing Baekhyun wanted was for Chanyeol's mother to hate him even more--if that was even possible. "I'm afraid to ask, to be honest."

"Well, I was just going to say, what if you made his cousins and other relatives like you?" There was a look in Luhan's eye that was almost mischievous. "It would get under her skin, wouldn't it?"

"It sure would. All the more reason to wish I was a dead." He wasn't sure if flaunting her hatred for him around was the right way to deal with his boyfriend's mother...despite how tempting it actually was. "I think having Chanyeol choose me outweighs all his other relatives' affections."

"Then fuck it. Go to the wedding trip and enjoy it. What do you have to lose?"

-

-

"Everything's all set. Your assistant handed me this on my way in," Sehun said, tossing the bland white folder onto the contrasting dark desk. "Your schedule's been rearranged. Meetings moved up or delayed. Can't say every executive we spoke to was happy about it, but they had no other choice."

"So everything's set then?"

"Yeah. You should be good to go." It was hard to not notice how Chanyeol seemed so happy. He tried to hide it, but Sehun knew better. The fact that the giant was standing up and staring out the window instead of sitting down at his desk doing actual work said a lot. "Who's going to be there, by the way? The wedding, I mean."

"Everyone," Chanyeol replied, seemingly less amused than before. "Aunts, uncles, cousins, second-cousins... People who I'm sure are there for business rather than family. I heard the guest list is massive."

"Sounds more like an annoying mess. I never liked big crowds."

"Your partying days say otherwise."