Chapter 3: Mother

Make sure you guys comment and vote, I really want to know what you think about the last part of this chapter. Well, the whole chapter, but specifically the last part.

_____

Chapter 3: Mother

"Nathan, make sure you check the shoes." My boss Megan calls from the back. "After you do that, you can go."

I glance at the clock. It's already 10:45 and we closed over an hour ago. I've done everything else, so I stroll over to the shoe department.

I look spot a tag on the floor and I pluck it off the tile, looking at it.

Dicks Sporting Goods.

I toss it in the trash and start organizing the shoes.

Megan walks over to me.

"So?" She questions.

I glance up at her.

She's around twenty eight and she's slightly a friend, but only a work friend.

Mason and Brenda tried to get me to ask her out a few months ago but I refused, firstly because she's my boss but mostly because she's not my type.

She has bright red hair and green eyes. I prefer girls with darker features.

Plus, I'd never date a girl that's older than me. She's like, twenty eight, and I'm only twenty three.

"So what?" I ask, putting a box of Nikes back in their spot.

"So do you have a girlfriend?"

I look at her.

Why does she want to know if I've got a girlfriend?

I swallow nervously.

"Nope." I say.

"Seriously?" She asks.

"Yes." I say, sitting on the bench people sit on to put on their shoes. "Why?"

"Nathan, you are twenty three and you haven't kissed a girl since elementary school." She says.

I shrug, putting the last pair of shoes up.

"I like being single." I lie. "Can I go home now? My bed is waiting for me."

"By all means." She sighs. "And I know you don't like being single. Nobody does."

_____

The moment I emerged from my room Monday morning, Brenda started in on me.

"You know Nathan, you're not an ugly guy. In fact, you're pretty handsome. I think your issue is your attitude."

"I don't have an attitude." I snap.

"What do you call what you just did?" She responds. I glare at her.

"I call it you pissing me off." I reply. "I'll drive myself to school, I don't want to look at you today."

"I'm going to get you a date!" She calls as the front door slams behind me.

"Yeah, sure you are." I grumble, walking down the stairs. It's snowing. I shiver, walking to my car.

This is going to be a long day.

_____

I stopped by Dunkin Donuts and got a large hot hazelnut latte and a breakfast sandwich.