Chapter 16: Victoria's Secret

I almost fell asleep on the rest of the car ride, but right before I was about to, Brenda called Mason complaining about how he doesn't love her because he didn't call her today yet.

It's literally eight in the morning here.

I saw Odeletta roll her eyes as the sound of Brenda squealing at Mason.

His phone wasn't even on speaker and the entire car could hear her.

We went to her Aunt Rosalie's old house to find somebody else living in it, so they drove to Odeletta's old house, which they still own because it's paid off.

When we pull into the driveway, a beautiful blonde women sits on the porch in cutoff denim shorts and a plain white t-shirt.

The moment the car is stopped, Odeletta is running across the yard to the woman, who stands up in time to catch her for a hug. When they pull apart, Odeletta is crying and so is the woman.

"You guys can get out." Her Dad, Josh, says.

We all get out and stay back, watching the tear-filled reunion.

It's lovely to see all of them together and it makes me want to go home to Ohio even more than before.

I can't wait until May.

_____

So they all went in the house and we went with them.

It's run down, clearly abandoned. There's a thick layer of dust over everything, but they're talking still, looking around for things they want to keep.

"Let's not take anything." Josh decides. "A fresh start, you know?"

"Sure." Adelaide smiles as Rosalie nods in agreement.

"Do you want anything from your room?" Rosalie asks Odeletta.

"I'm scared to go in there." She admits.

"So take Nathan with you." Adelaide smiles at me. Odeletta just looks at me.

"Will you?" She asks. I nod, following her to a shut bedroom door.

I open it for her.

Everything is covered in dust, but I can see the pink walls, the purple bedspread on her unmade bed.

There's little dolls in a basket on the floor, her dresser drawers are left open, her closet shut. There's a soft purple curtain over the window, and things of perfume and lotion on her dresser.

On her desk, there's a Ariel lamp, a notebook, a school textbook, and a backpack.

She stands outside the door, and everyone in the living room is watching.

"Are you going in?" I ask her softly.

She looks conflicted, so I gently move in the bedroom and hold my hand out to her.

She looks down at it, and then carefully takes it. I tug her into the bedroom.

She steps in carefully, looking around.

Her eyes roam the contents of the room, and she immediately walks over to her bed. She pulls the comforter back, coughing when a puff of dust comes up she picks up a small blanket

It's a white knitted blanket with purple around the edges. She clutches it to her chest, tears in her eyes.

I don't ask her about it, I let her reminisce, she opens her closet and gets a box off the shelf in there, opening it. I peer over her shoulder. Her jewelry box.