Average Life(?)

I close my laptop after another hour of 'support group.' It's just an online video chat for people like me. I can't seem to relate to any of the other teens. Probably because I can't see them face to face.

But it's not like I want to.

Back to the other teens, some of them are really bad disease wise. A girl had stage four stomach cancer. I'm really worried about her. Mainly because I favor her over all of the other teens. I hope I don't lose her. I kind of need someone like her in my life.

"Jordan, it's time," Mom says as she steps into my room.

I look at her and sigh. "Will there ever be a cure for what I have?" I ask. "Yes, but not now. We'll just have to get through this with what we have to work with," she replies.

I can hear what she's actually trying to say. She's trying to say: "There isn't and there will never be a cure. You're going to die because of this."

I get up from my seat and follow her to a room. I must go to this room every single day. A doctor must check me everyday, just to make sure nothing had changed. It's a good thing that my mother is a doctor.

I sit down in a cold, white chair and wait for her. First, she must take my blood pressure. Then, my pulse. Finally, my temperature. These three things must be monitored everyday for the rest of my life. Since I've grown used to it, it's not as inconvenient as it used to be.

"Let me guess, the same results?" I ask once Mom is finished. "Yep, you're free to go," she replies. I stand up and walk out of the room. I go back to my room and back to my laptop. Once I turn it on, I go straight to YouTube. It's my escape from this pain filled world. My digital escape.

"You're watching your latest YouTube crush again, aren't you?" I hear the voice of my sister ask. "Yes," I reply, "since I can't meet anyone in the real world. You're lucky! You can go out and develop crushes on people that actually know you. Very unlike me."

"If we could switch positions, I'd gladly do it. I know this must be miserable for you," she says, "but, Mom said we're getting neighbors soon. Maybe you can meet them."

"I doubt Mom will let them in here," I say, "vulnerable to any disease, remember?" "I know, but maybe if you asked," she suggests.

"Maybe," I shrug, "can I get back to YouTube now?"

"Sure," she replies and exits my room.

I'm not as close to my family as I used to be. They just can't understand my pain. The people on YouTube don't have to; they just have to make me happy. Just as they always do.

I click on another video. As it loads, I notice something out the window. I get up from my seat and look out. I see a mother and be son. Her son looks to be about my age. He's wearing a black Five Seconds Of Summer shirt, maroon skinny jeans, and black and white Converse. He has blonde, scene hair, too.

I smile down at him; he does look nice. He reminds me of myself. The choppy/scene hair, alone with a mother, and dressing in dark clothing. I wish I could talk to him!

Before he can look at me, I sit back down at my desk. I know if he looks at me and waves, I'll get attached. That's the last thing I need to do right now. I don't need to get attached to other, outside world people.

Now, that may be impossible.