CHAPTER FIVE

"Before you give me your answer, there's something you should probably know." Jared's hand gives mine a little squeeze and then lets go. "You could say I live a pretty...unconventional lifestyle." He sighs. "Something we have in common, I guess, but what I mean is, I'm...well, I'm an actor and a musician. Been in a lot of movies, my band's toured the world. I'm pretty well-known. That's why I asked you if you know who I am."

I'm not sure what to say to this. If I tell him now that I've known who he is since the moment I laid eyes on him, how will he react? For sure, he'll believe I've been deceptive, even though I never said anything outright one way or another.  I should've told him, but now it's too late. He's convinced I'm unaware of his celebrity status; in fact he seems to cling to that belief like it's some kind of a lifeline. 

I mumble, "Oh. Well, I guess it's true what they say about famous people."

"Oh yeah? What do they say?"

"That on some level they're all insane." I rub my eyes. "Jared, the fact that you're a movie and a rock star makes this all the more ridiculous. Don't you have...well, people? What'll they say if you come back to L.A. dragging me and Shelby along with you?"

"People? You mean assistants, managers, publicists, lawyers? Those people?"

"To name a few, yeah. Those people. Don't they have to vet everyone who comes within like a hundred yards of you and your home?"

A low laugh. "A slight exaggeration, but yeah. Typically. Unless I do my own vetting. I still do, you know. And when it comes to my friends, and there are precious few who I can truly call my friends, my people have no input. So don't worry about what they say. I couldn't care less."

I gesture helplessly. "Okay, but what do you really know about me? Besides that I can treat a venomous snake bite, I can stitch a cut and set a broken leg and serve up a mean trout my kid caught and baked on a rock?"

Jared cocks an eyebrow. "Should I ask questions, and if I do, will you answer them?"

I'm really not used to answering questions about myself, and in fact, I do my best to avoid situations in which I have to, but I nod anyway. 

He continues, "Well, what did you do for a living before all this happened? Something in the medical field, right? Where did you and your kid learn all the wilderness survival stuff?"

That's an easy one. "I did work in the medical field, yes. I'm certified as an EMT with a special emphasis on Wilderness EMT training."

"And that's where all the survivalism stuff comes from too?"

"Not exactly. My dad ran a large wilderness camp and a fishing and hunting retreat, and I partnered with him after high school. McCarty Camp was my dad's legacy, and the only home I've ever known. The only home Shelby's ever known." My voice trails off. "And then Todd destroyed it."

"What do you mean he destroyed it?" Jared asks.

"Something happened between Todd and my dad, some kind of falling out, but I don't know what it was about. Dad never told me, and Todd never would tell me." I pick up a stick and stab it into the ground. "I have my suspicions it was about Todd's little drug operation he started running from the property. I think my dad found out about it and confronted Todd."

Jared's silent for a moment. Then he ventures, "I hate to ask this, Lanie, but...do you think your ex-husband had anything to do with your dad's death?"

I shake my head. "No. They caught the guy who shot him. Billy Heinrickson. He was a neighbor who claimed he'd been hunting gophers and crows. With a 30-30 rifle?" I laugh bitterly. "He was poaching deer...it wasn't firearm season yet, and he tracked a buck onto our land. My dad was bow-hunting, just sitting at the base of a clump of birch trees by the lake when this stupid asshole fired off a shot. Hit my dad in the neck and killed him instantly.