Chapter Ten

Shelby takes an inordinate amount of time choosing a spot on which to sign Jared's cast. When she finally selects one, she writes her name slowly and carefully, using a hot pink sharpie borrowed from the nurse's station.

"Wait. I'm not done," she says when I hold my hand out for the marker.

"What do you mean, you're not done? You signed your name," I say.

Shelby just grins, turns back to Jared's cast, and begins to draw something next to her name.

"Oh, no," I groan when I see what she's doing. "Shelby..."

Constance peers over Shelby's shoulder to look. "I think it's perfect," she says.

I look helplessly at Jared, but he's watching what Shelby's doing, a smile playing at his lips. "So do I," he says. "You're really quite the little artist."

"Ta-da," Shelby proclaims, stepping away, allowing us to admire the pink hearts and butterflies she's drawn. "You like it?" she asks him.

"I love it. Thank you, Shelby" he tells her. "You're very sweet, and very talented. Like your mom." His eyes meet mine and I lose my breath a little. What this man can do to me...just one look, one word with that low, smooth melodic voice, and my brain turns to mush. It's ridiculous. I'm ridiculous.

I'm not sure what passes between Jared's mom and him in those few seconds, but Constance says, "Shelby, would you like to go see another aquarium? There's one on this floor too, even bigger than the one downstairs. It's another saltwater tank and this one has starfish in it."

"Yeah!" Shelby exclaims. "Mom, can I?"

I nod mutely and Constance smiles, her eyes flitting between her son and me for a split second before she and Shelby leave the room.

There's a silence then, a silence between Jared and I that seems to grow and thicken with every passing second. I glance at the door, waiting for Shannon, Dr. Lange, Jimmy, or a nurse to enter and end the moment. But nobody comes in.

In the hall I hear a soft ping and the sound of the PA system calling for a Dr. Oliver to come to Oncology. I hear the soft hum of the air conditioner. I hear the quiet whir of Jared's IV as it dispenses a miniscule dose of morphine.

"Lanie," Jared breaks the silence, his voice soft. I look at him, and his eyes are on me. "I...uh...was hoping you'd be willing to...help me with something."

"What is it?" I ask, my voice equally soft, mesmerized under his intense, almost pleading gaze. My heart's racing, and a thousand possibilities rush through my mind about what he might need help with. I can fully admit I'd love to help him with any number of things right now, the way he's looking at me.

Jared's pale face flushes a little. Without breaking eye contact he says, "Um. Remember in Oak Creek Canyon, when I said I didn't want you to have to help me with...something?"

I frown, puzzled. "Not really."

"A...bathroom thing," he explains, his face reddening further. It's kind of adorable, really, and then I remember what it was that had made him so uncomfortable to ask my help with.

Oh. That. I'm pulled back to down earth with a jolt, and before I can stop myself, I begin to laugh.

"Oh, God, Lanie, I'm sorry. Forget it," Jared mumbles, throwing his arm over his face. The IV tube hits his bed rail with a ping. "I just...I don't want some random nurse helping me with it."

"No, don't be sorry," I say hurriedly. "I totally understand. I'm sorry I laughed. I didn't mean to."

Jared moves his arm away from his face and his blush fades a little. "I guess you saw all the photos and shit my mom's got in her living room."