Chapter Two: The Cockatrice

Ruby flew silently into Vivideans base. She knew Zerrox was around here somewhere, but she wasn't worried about that. Her job was to find Viczeron. Ruby flew silently close to the ceiling, scanning the halls for the cockatrice. She suddenly saw him. He was being led by a guard. He seemed worse off than before. His feathers were ruffled and he had a large patch of bare flesh. The skin was red and irritated, the bandana covering the feathers just below it. Ruby watched curiously as Viczeron walked along with the guards. He didnt fight or resist at all.

"In this state? How could he not fight?" Ruby thought to herself worriedly.

She flew closer to the group. The group stopped suddenly and Ruby accidentally blew a gust of wind onto Viczeron.

Viczerons head snapped up and scanned the area around him. His yellow eyes met Rubys gaze.

"Does he know I'm here?" Ruby thought to herself worriedly.

Viczeron snarled softly and took a step towards Ruby, who remained unseen by the guards.

They heard him snarl and jerked on the chain. The pull jerked the metal ring around Viczerons neck upward. It passed the bandanna and made contact with his skin. For barely a second, you could hear the sizzle of his flesh against the metal. Viczeron screeched, ducking his head and trotting over toward the guards. One of them laughed at his pain. Viczeron glared at the guards, glancing back and giving Ruby a cold glare. It was a glare that said "I know you're there."

Ruby shivered when Viczeron was led away by the guards. She recomposed herself and continued following them.

The guards brought him to a heavy door. Ruby recognized it as one that was similar to the one she was held in. She shook the memory away, and watched the guards.

One of them grabbed a key from a hook on the wall. They unlocked the door and sent the cockatrice in. One of them went in and came out a few moments later without Viczeron. The guards locked the door again and left, leaving the key on the hook.

Ruby waited for a few minutes. Contemplating wether or not she should go in or not.

Ruby shook her head firmly. "I have to do this. I have to at least try."

Ruby flew down to the floor, grabbing the key. The key quickly disappeared from her vision.

Ruby groaned and smiled. She imagined Zerrox and what he would do.

"That numbskull would probably go through all the trouble of making himself visible again just to get the key in the hole." She laughed to herself in her mind.

Ruby ran her claws over the invisible key, finding the end point. She guided the key to the group lock, putting it in easily and turning it. The door unlocked easily. Ruby walked into the room, taking the key with her. She shut the door behind her softly. She heard Viczeron snarl from behind her.

"So. You followed me here." He said.

His voice was a deep baritone, but scratchy and had bit of a squawk to it.

"How did you know I was there?" Ruby asked.

"You dragons are so naive. Cockatrices aren't just big creatures. We are relatively immune to your magic. I can see you clear as day." He explained nonchalantly.

"Now you answer a question for me. Why are you here?" He asked suspiciously.

"Well. This may be hard to believe. But I am busting you out of here."

Viczeron laughed. "You dragons are so stupid. Risking your own hides just for someone who may rip you to shreds."

"But you won't. You know I am not one of them."