Chapter 3

Throughout the day, my wolf became restless. Although we were near our mate, my wolf and I wanted to approach him and wrap our arms around him, to nuzzle into his neck and smell his mesmerising scent. At lunch, when I can't take it any more, I grab his arm and drag him to an empty classroom. Who am I kidding, he willingly follows - I'd never be able to drag someone of his size anywhere.

As soon as the door is shut and the coast is clear, I jump into his awaiting arms and finally snuggle into his arms. 

"Do you know how long I've been waiting for this moment?" Surprisingly he is the one to ask that.

"Correct me if I'm wrong but for 4 hours 34 minutes and 28 seconds."

"Would it be cheesy if I did correct you and say forever?"

"Very cheesy but I wouldn't mind."

"Well then, you're wrong. I've been waiting forever to hold you in my arms and I never want to move again." He smirks teasingly at me. Too comfortable to speak any more, I reply with a light slap on his shoulder.  

I love the fact that to most, Alex is ruthless and cold, or so I've heard, but with me he is cheesy, cute and loving. I don't think I want to see the other side of him or believe that what people say is true. Alex took over from his father four months ago and has apparently already doubled the land that they owned previously. I'm not dumb: I know that he has attacked other packs and given them the choice of being a member of his pack, the Crimson Moon Pack, or become a rogue. I don't know what to think about this, we've never really talked about what he's like when we aren't together and I'm dreading that talk. Maybe sooner rather than later is best.

"Alex?" 

"Mhmm."

"What are you like when we're not together?" 

As soon as the words escape from my lips, his once relaxed body stiffens and I pull away from his neck to look at his eyes. Over the years, I've become an expert at reading him even when he acts emotionless. It only takes a second to recognise the fear within his eyes. What is he scared about? Is he really that bad? 

He sighs and says, "Do you really want to know?"

"Yes." I respond confidently, looking into his eyes and rub soothing circles into his side.

After tucking my head back into his neck, Alex tells me, "I'm not a good person- or werewolf. As you know I've killed before-"

I remember his first kill..

"Alex! You're here." My thirteen year old self ran towards my young mate and wrapped my small arms around his lean figure. Only when I embraced my favourite scent, did I notice that it smelt different. Metallic. I pulled away worriedly and examined my mate. He wouldn't meet my eye but he wasn't injured. Why did he look sad and guilty? Wait, was that another person's blood that I smelt.

"I'm sorry Mia." He muttered and stared at the ground. I stumbled backwards and turned, sprinting back home. The first thing I did when I reached my bedroom was collapse onto my bed and weep. How could my beloved mate who meant the world to me have took away life with the same hands that hug me and comfort me? What do I do? Could I look him in the eye ever again?

We didn't see each other for three weeks after that and my wolf was constantly whining and hating me. It was a very painful experience and I never want to experience it again. Only when I felt physical pain from not seeing him did I race over to our spot. To my surprise, my mate was curled up at the bottom of our tree looking as miserable as I felt in his wolf form. Before he even saw I was there, I jumped onto him and cuddled into him. 

Werewolves shift at thirteen but we gain our wolves at ten. This was the first time that I'd seen his wolf and wow! He was absolutely beautiful. His black glossy fur that I gripped onto with my life was as soft as silk and I knew then that I would never get cold when I'm near it. Not that I can get cold anyway, I'm a werewolf. When I landed on my beautiful mate, he immediately stiffened before recognising the tingles and relaxing. He swiftly turned around so he could nuzzle into my neck and feel reassured that I was there.

That night, we exchanged no words but lay in each others arms until it got dark and we had to go. The night after was the same. On the third night we talked about it and he explained that the rogue was about to kill him so he had no choice and that he did regret it. I forgave him.

"-and have done some horrible things that I'm not proud of but I'd never hurt you. Never. I assume you also know that I have been taking over packs to create one big pack. I can assure you that I haven't killed anyone within the process."

I know that many Alphas do exactly the same and it's in their blood to be competitive and want the best, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed that the rumours are true. Are they all true?

"Alex, are all the rumours about you true?" I look up at him.

"Probably."

"What about the one where you killed-"

Before I can finish what I was saying, the door that I thought was locked swung open. We sprung away and I glanced guiltily at the person at the door. Oh no.