To Be Prepared

My heads spinning, everything sounds distant and muffled, then the pain rakes through my body. I know i have to open my eyes but i really don't want too right now.

I can hear John in the distance, "Michael! wake up, come on wake up!"

I tried to reply i think, it's all fuzzy i feel like a truck hit me. I open my eyes squinting and blinking rapidly.

"He's coming round" shouts John

"holy shit i'm so sorry, i didn't mean to do that...." private Mayers blurts out

"Michael, can you hear me?" asks another face

I nod, damn that hurts.

My whole body still feels attached but man, does it hurt like hell.

"Sit him up", this new face proclaims

I'm shifted to a sitting position. Now i can see the chaos a bit better.

Where i can only assume i was standing before is a huge crater, some of the other men are being tended too. If only i could remember .... Wait, Mayers something to do with Mayers. Another shooting pain as the new face guy, i can only assume is a medic, pulls my limbs around to check for damage.

"Will you give it a rest, i need a minute, then you can pull and prod all you like." i say

"Fine, i'll be back in five." he scowls and marches off to tend to another soldier.

"You look like shit." John says smiling

"I look almost as bad as you then." I retort, wincing as i laugh. "What happened, i remember something to do with Mayers."

"Mayers, somehow set off the auto destruct on one of the weapons. You pulled him away at the last second. One hell of an explosion though. We need to find a new place to train this one will be swarming in the next 30 mins. We're just assessing casualties at the moment. Most just look like they got slammed by the shock-wave." John  sounds like a solider now. I guess spending a month with soldiers rubs off on you.

"Help me up." i say throwing out my hand and looking at him. I notice that he's about to argue so i add "If they see me slacking off then they will, plus we need to organise and get the hell out of here." He nods in acceptance and helps me to stand up. A wave of dizziness threatens to undo the work just done but, thankfully, it passes.

I survey the scene, soldiers running around, triaging the fallen. John's right most are fine just been knocked senseless. A few minor casualties, some cuts and abrasions, we're in pretty good shape. Another few minutes and we should be ready to move.

Mayers is standing in a corner, i think he's hoping the walls will swallow him.

"MAYERS, REPORT!" I shout standing straight.

Mayers jumps and sprints over to me, skidding to halt and saluting. I return the salute and everyone turns to face us.

"I was increasing the power on the alien weapon as instructed. I was seeing if the slider could go higher and then attempting to reduce it to 75%. As i continued to hold the slider it started to blink, not knowing what your next instruction would be, i left it blinking. That's when the high pitch whine started and the 5 lights appeared on the right side, they looked to be counting down when i called you over sir." He was looking shaken and kept glancing at his fellow soldiers, who by now had all stood up and collected their gear.

"It's not your fault Jimmy" I said slapping his shoulder. I looked around the room "Everyone here needs to talk to Mayers here and get a good grasp on what he did so that we can do the opposite. However, make sure you learn the sequence, If i'm caught between the enemy and i'm going to die anyway i'm damn sure going to use that method to take a few of them with me. So thanks to Mayers here we now have a pretty devastating last resort." I looked to Mayers who seemed visibly more relaxed. I never saw the point of ripping someone a new one, if it was an accident. He's wight though i didn't tell him what should be seen or to say if something was different, truth is i had no idea it could do that. I need all the men i can get, loosing one now over an accident seems pointless.

"Now since we all have learnt what it's like to be blown up i suggest we get our asses out of here before the real freaks turn up. Lieutenant lead em out." nodding to John to take over.

"Ok, make sure you haven't lost any limbs, if you have we won't be coming back here. Most of you have been to the toilet already during that little exercise, so get your gear and lets get out of here." Yelled John.

The gaggle of soldiers started filing out two by two, from this underground basement and marching in the direction of home, a little parking structure. 

As we traveled, everyone took it in turns falling in with Mayers and he recounted the story over and over again. By the time we got back he was ok, i dismissed everyone and he made a bee line for me.

"Mayers, it's been a long one go get some downtime." I said as he walked over.

"I will Sir, i just have one question, if i may?" he asked

"Shoot" I replied shrugging.

"It's about, err, well anyone else would have, err ..." he tried to formulate a decent sentence i thought i'd help him out he looked uncomfortable.

"Your wondering why i didn't go mad and turn everyone against you or discipline you?" i queried

"Yes, sit." he looked uncomfortable

"It was an accident, anyone of us could have done the same, it's the risk we take everytime we use them, because we don't have a manual." He looked relieved.

"Plus. You do have a punishment i've already heard the guys have given you a new nickname, Boomer"  i said smiling

"It was better than my old one sir, Mayonase, they said it was from a film a long time ago but i've never seen it. I like boomer just fine." he said laughing.

"An officer and a gentleman was the film, one day we may find it and you can watch it. Until then  go and relax." I said patting him on the back

"Yes, sir" he replied saluting, i returned the salute and he walked towards the barracks.

I turned and headed for the command tent.

I stepped into the brightly lit, map infested interior. "Major" i saluted.

"At ease, I heard you had some fun on training today with boomer." he said smiling

"News travels fast." smiling and pouring a cup of coffee, we found a distribution warehouse in the rubble and so we liberated it's contents and we're very well provisioned now. "Boomer did indeed set off a self destruct. One minor injury but everyone else is fine. They're taking some DT at the moment." I sat in one of the chairs at the end of the tent overlooking the entire interior.

"You really mean what you told the men? about setting it off if your cornered?" Donahue asked

I sipped my coffee, "I do, They took my family and if was going to die then i would want to take as many as possible with me.

Donahue eyed me for a few moments. "Fair enough, just try not to get yourself into that situation, i'd have to do alot more work around here." 

We spent the next 30 minutes talking over the training and how it's been progressing. It has been going pretty well. The last training session is tomorrow and then we'll be ready for our first mission.

We differ on tactics but agree that the first target should be a small sweeper group, named because they seem to be sweeping the outlying areas for something, or maybe it's just survivors, we don't know for sure. We do agree though that after each team has one of those missions completed we need to try and get past their shield to take out any real high value targets.

For now it's my watch, Donahue has left and gone to get some shut eye. I'm talking to the patrols and coordinating scavenger groups that are searching for supplies or a new base.

It's good to be busy, especially when you know that you can fight back now. I pull out a little map with a circle on. I look at the spot where my family are buried, putting the map back in my pocket i smile. Payback starts soon and i can't wait.