The Caves

The caves are a couple of hundred meters in length, two entrances, one blocked by debris and the other now secured with trip wires, not that it'll do much good except give us a heads up.

"Emma, what did Tim want?"

"He wants us all together to discuss what we should be doing going forward."

"Fair enough i suppose, let's go see what he has in mind shall we?"

"Why I thought you'd never ask." she says smilling and taking my hand.

We walk over to the main group and Emma and Sarah sit on one of the rocks while i lean against the wall of the cave.

"Now we're all here i think we should discuss what to do moving forward and also apoint someone in charge. I know we don't need it but if things start getting out of control having someone to rely on for direction is important." Tim said looking around the group.

"Everyone for Tim to take charge raise your hands" said a slender woman with auburn hair.

"I'm sorry Stacey but i have no wish to be in that position so it will have to be someone else. Suggestions or any volunteers?"

"What about the soldier? He would have learnt survival skills" an elderly gentleman named Keith voluntered.

"That would be my suggestion but it's open to discussion. Anyone else?" Tim looked around the group at each person in turn.

"All those in favour of Michael, raise your hand." 

Everyone raised thier hands in the air including Sarah. I think she was just happy to join in. Oh well in for a penny ...

"I'll do it for now until we can re-evaluate the situation." I state, standing up straight and away from the wall.

"That sounds fair, so over to you Michael."

"OK so we all know whats happened, we don't need to go over that again. What we do need to do though is find a more secure location. This cave is great but we've one slight problem with just the one entrance. If they find us in here we've no where to go. So suggestions on that would be good, also supplies. We need to get some more food and water if it's out there and survivors, if there are anymore out there i think we should find them."

Stacey slowly raised her hand looking around the other faces in the group.

"Stacey?" pointing to her.

"I just have one question, How are we suposed to do all that?" she asked.

"Well, we have to go outisde."

"But what about ...". I raised my hand to stop Stacey from asking the obvious.

"What about them? We stay here we die, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but we'll run out of food and water soon, then what? I am not going to let those slimy green assholes take away my right to live. I'm going to get a decent base, some supplies and with any luck some more survivors, then i'm to shine my boots up real nice and good and stick it up thier alien ass."

Tim looked over at me smiling, damn if i were a betting man i'd have bet he thought i'd say something like that.

"Daddy?" Sarah asked quietly putting her hand up.

"Yes kiddo?"

"Can we find Bear Bear a friend coz i think he's scared and needs a little bear to cuddle?"

I smile at her "Of course we can, we'll keep an eye out for one when we go looking OK?"

"Ok." she says giving me a big hug.

"We need to split into groups of two. we have our primary objectives, food, water and another place to stay. Survivors too if we come across any. So pair up and we'll go through a few basics of how not to get spotted then we'll head out and see what we can round up, sound good?"

I look around the group as they all nod at me.

We spend the next two hours going through basics of using cover and scouting techniques, making sure your not in the open too long and you always have something to hide behind or as Sarah called it a big game of hide and seek. It lightened the mood, let people relax and it helped take away some of the nervous apprehension.

Teams ready it's time to hit the outside, It's now dark so we have that for additional cover. I'm with Tim, Emma and Sarah are staying behind, the group agreed that they shouldn't be required to go. Which i m thankful for so i'm going to make sure we come back with at least something in return.

Well no time like the present.