The Cliff

Tim and I have scouted the local area, raidied abndoned houses for supplies and made a nice little stash in the cave on the beach. By some sheer force of luck we also found some weapons, a couple of assault rifles, MP5's to be exact, a sniper rifle and three grenades. A couple of ammo boxes a piece not a bad haul.

I have the sniper rifle, assault rifle, sidearm adn the grenades. Tim has an assault rifle, we couldn't find a sidearm and he's not too happy about carrying but as i pointed out we may need it one day, even if it's just for hunting. I put the last of the water in the bergen, swing it sround onto my shoulders. clip it and put the strap of the assault rifle across my body and slide it up behind my back, muzzle down so i can swing it round to my side if i need it in a hurry. Picking up the sniper rifle i check the scope, i've already set it to my settings, it's a pretty decent scope certainly not standard.

Nodding to Tim, he picks up his weapon and puts the strap over his head. We're set. We start out of the cave entrance. We've decided to go south today, for no other reason than we;ve not been that way in the last three days. Walking along the beach the winds picked up a bit, makes it a little colder but not anything to worry about. We cross over to the base of the cliffs and find the stairs, semi hidden and carved into the rock face. Theres a little rusting rail running the outside to stop you from falling and it's pretty tough going. At the top it opens up to a flat grassy area, wiht the height of the cliff edge and the clear view you can see for miles around. The smoking has stopped now but for some reason theres still no birds.I can't remember seeing any for a while now, not even seagulls. 

Heading south along the cliff tops looking out over the ocean i can see the big platform from here. I've no idea what the hell it's doing out there but it can't be good if we have the rest of this invasion to go by. We have a good long walk before we get anywhere and worrying about it isn't going to change it. Worry about what you can do, not what you can't.

*  *  *

Midday, fisrt signs of the old existance, some ruins come in to view. No idea what town it was but i'm sure we'll find out when we get closer. The sight of it is troubling me somehow, never mind probly just ghosts.

"Tim, i think we should check this town out. Although theres something about it i can't put my finger on." i said stepping over  a small bush.

 "OK."

"We'll stop here for a few minutes before we make our way over."

I reach around the side of my bergen and take the bottle of water out of the side pocket. I take a few swins and put  it back, taking a knee i bring up the rifle and look through the scope.

 The town comes into view and i slowly pan across the ruins.

"This one looks a bit more intact, there's at least two larger structures still standing. The rest are toast though." I said as Tim kneels down beside me.

"That is a little more than most we've seen."

"Yeah not much else left though."

Tim shuffles a bit and i look over at him. He's struggling to put the MP5 in a comfortable position.

"I'm never going to get used to this. It just feels so, so bulky"

"Unfortunately you'll get used to it." I put my eye back up to the scope.

"I don't think i will at least i hope i don't"

"I can't see anything else there, i think we should go check it out. Aim to be in and out in an hour." I ay getting to my feet and cradling the rifle.

"Sounds good" Tim replies getting up.

We start our walk towards the outskirts of the ruined town. We're both still alert for any movement but some far in all our travels we've not seen another living soul.