Time

Emma wakes me with a shake, "It's time"

"OK i'm awake where's Sarah?"

"She's fine, she's asleep"

I stretch to click out my back and neck, damn that's rough. Folding the blanket and taking some water i look around, seems the rest of the group are asleep except the two we're replacing as lookouts. Good, we're going to need some energy to go further out than yesterday.

I walk over to the entrance and nod to Alan and Frank, they slowly get up, smile at us and head back into the cave. 

"Emma i'm going to check the trip wires, i'll be back in a few minutes."

"OK be careful" she replies with a worried look.

Wallking down the passageway i reach the base of the stairs,  up five steps and the three trip wires are there. Undisturbed and still clear of debris. They're setup so that if you move them or cut them then the flare goes off and in these close quarters it wil be pretty blinding. I check the flares next, still dry so all good. I stop still for a minute listening, nothing, no sounds at all. I make my way back to where Emma is and see the look of relief on her face. I sit down next to her and she cuddles up next to me. I look over to where Sarah is sleeping on a couple of blankets, wrapped up in another with her Bear Bear clasped tightly, a mix of emotions running through me. I can't help wondering what it's going to be like for her to grow up now with all that's happened.

"So are we going to make it?" Emma whispers.

"We have a plan, we stick to it we'll make it." I think it's more re-assurance for me than her.

"I know you'll look after us. 

I will never forget the night that Emma first said that to me. Sarah was two, it had been raining for eleven days straight and then the flood came. I heard the glass break downstairs and got to the top of the stairs when i saw the water rush in. I grabbed Sarah and Emma and we went into the loft. The water rose that night to within two feet of the loft entrance. I took the decision to swim out that day through the upstairs window and get the collapsible boat from the garage. I got them out the skylight and managed to get them to safety, the water rose another nine feet, if we hadn't of got out when we did we wouldn't be here right now. Our entire house was submerged by the following evening.

I just don't know how i'm going to get us out of this one.

Time always goes slowly on guard duty, it's very easy to loose focus. I can hear the other survivors moving around, tossing and turning but nothing coming from the entrance. 

Looking at my watch ten minutes to go, I send Emma to get Tim and the others. I've got a rough plan for today, i'm going to take Tim with me again we're going to scout for a shelter. Stacey and i forget his name can do that aswell, the rest can stay near the cave and scout the other houses still in tact, for more provisions. Emma, Sarah, Alan and Frank can stay here and watch our supplies. Emma has my spare weapon from the house and i'll make sure the entrance is covered over.

With everyone assembled I start. "Tim you and me will team up again, Stacey and ..?"

"John"

"Thanks, Stacey and John will be scouting for another safe place to hole up. Alan an Frank you'll stay with Emma and Sarah. Look after our provisions. The other pairs will go out past the town to the houses that are still standing and search them for whatever you can find. I'll leave it up to you to decide what directions you go in. We good?"

I look around at everyone nodding. They start to move off and form their pairs. Tim stays next to me as does Emma.

"Tim grab a couple of waters for us and i'll grab the small bag for this. We want to travel light today."