December 11, 2017

Dear Belinda,

It had been a week since you brought up coming out. You hadn't said anything about it, but I could tell it was still eating at you. When I suggested going into the lunchroom instead of the library, I could physically see your stomach twist, turn, then drop. I imagine avoiding your best friends for weeks would do that to a person.

You questioned my intentions and I told you it was to get a break since we'd been working nonstop on this project the last few weeks. It wasn't a lie. I just wanted to chill and talk about anything that wasn't related to this research project.

I rolled my eyes when you didn't respond. I linked your arm with mine and smiled at you. The look of terror on your face didn't change even after we entered the cafeteria and I couldn't help but think that I looked the same way when you took me to the cafeteria the week after my first day.

Rebecca, Rebelle, and MacKenzie were talking as we got to the table. MacKenzie looked up first, her lips pursed. Rebecca and Rebelle stopped talking afterward, their faces mirroring each other's.

Rebelle asked me where we were for the last few weeks, but she was looking at you. I simply told them we were at the library studying and putting together sources for the project before I sat. You remained standing like you were deciding whether you should sit or bolt out of the lunchroom. I'm pretty sure you would have if Rebecca hadn't asked you to take a seat.

We continued our conversations like no time was lost, but you were tense the whole time. Your laugh was awkward and you wouldn't speak unless spoken to.

It legitimately hurt me to see you this way, but what could I do? I couldn't force you to come out to your friends and family and I couldn't walk you through the whole process of it like this was training for a new job.

It really just sucked.

Sincerely,

Delilah

Excuse the extreme lateness of the chapter. I was in a competition (won gold. Yay!) and the hotel wifi was annoying. Anyway, if you liked this chapter, be sure to vote. Comments and suggestions are always accepted.

--TG123