Six: His Mother

Reina was momentarily at a loss for words. Actually, she was at a loss to even move. She could only stare at him as he slowly got her down. He gave her a warning look without saying a word more about their fight. And then she could only stare at his mother.

She was deceptively young in appearance, like most werewolves were. Werewolves lived for several centuries. Some even lived for a few millenia. Reina sensed that she was more on the younger side, no more than a century old. She still had that spark of youth in her dark eyes and skin. And she looked beautiful. Her features were regal, with dark hair and arched brows. Her eyes were almond-shaped and dark like Raymond's. Her skin was a shade lighter than Zeron's, just pure gold. Reina saw the outlines of tattoos on her hands as they were masked by the long sleeves of her gown.

Maybe the tattoos were their thing, like a custom of the Soul Pack. She didn't recall seeing any on Raymond, but his hair hadn't been cropped close to his skull like Zeron's, and he'd worn a black coat so she couldn't see the rest of his body. As for Bertha, well, Reina had been too lost in her rage to even care.

"What is the meaning of this?" the former Luna's cold voice demanded. At first Reina thought that she was angry with the both of them for their childish fight--well, it was more of a battle between the good and the asshole, but sure, it probably was childish. Soon, however, Reina realized there was a distinct sharpness in the female's tone, like it was more personal. And she was looking right at Zeron. "Fighting with your Luna and not providing her with any clothes to uphold her dignity in front of you, what kind of an Alpha are you?"

"Mother," Zeron began, his tone hard. "I was trying to subdue her."

"It didn't look like you were subduing her," his mother shot back, walking toward her and pulling her close. "There now, child. I'm here. As long as I'm here, he won't hurt you." She glared at him. "And what was Bertha doing in here?"

"He told her to bathe me," Reina said, her voice sounding tormented and scared. In reality, she was getting back at him.

"What? Zeron, is this true?"

He watched Reina with murder. "I thought she needed some help. She obviously doesn't prefer me."

"Because you're abusive, just like Bertha," Reina shot back.

"That's no way to treat a Luna," his mother growled.

"She's not yet Luna," he growled back, his temper exploding. His pale eyes flashed, and she could see something dark surfacing in them. "She won't be until she stops being so childish."

"Childish? You're the one who tore my robe off when all I wanted was some privacy. Don't you dare call me a child after that!"

"Well, you shouldn't have provoked me. What the hell did you expect, for me to put up with your impulsive bullshit?"

"ENOUGH!" the former Luna shouted. "Zeron, leave. I'll take care of her. And don't ever send Bertha in her chambers again."

"After so many months without acknowledging me, is that all you can say?"

"Yes, that's all I can say and that's all I will say," she replied coldly, pulling Reina toward the washroom once more. "Because you remind me of your father, and he was not a good man."

Reina turned away after that, because she felt the tear in the bond. Although she wasn't yet marked, he was still her mate. She could still feel his emotions. And what she felt was so raw, so painful, that she felt tears burn through her eyes.

"I'm sorry for everything he did," his mother told her very softly. She found a new robe and gave it to Reina, offering her a smile. "I'm Sayora, but you can call me mother. I see you as my child, dear. You are his mate, but that just means you're my daughter too."