Fifteen: Entitled

Zeron wanted to wipe that disapproving sneer from his sister by law's face. She watched him enter his own castle like he was some juvenile right out of his transition, and it only pissed him off more. But he kept his mouth shut only because his mother's hand was by his neck, forcing him to keep his demon—as well as his aggression—low.

"You know," the Death Luna began, eyeing his warriors with interest. "I like the black paint. Looks feral. Untamed. Savage." Then she eyed Zeron. Her black eyes glimmered with a sudden flash of evil that made even his mother step back. "Alpha Zeron," she announced. "You don't have a soul. Don't you think I know what that means? You are not good for my Reina. You can devour her."

His upper lip curled, revealing his teeth. "Then give me felons. I need more of them."

She crossed her arms, and that same disapproving expression lit back on her face. Somehow, he knew that she was riling him up, wanting to see how far he'd go. "What, you'll eat souls for a lifetime? Fucking forget it. You're a walking disaster in your state. If you think I'm letting my sister by law remain here by your side, you're wrong."

"But Death Luna," came his mother's voice. That, he wasn't expecting. But then again, he hadn't expected her to come tearing toward him when he was about to deliver his final blow and kill his prey. "You know as an Alpha, he needs a mate. We need a stronger pack, and an heir as well."

"With your soul-eating reputation, your pack's formidable enough, mother Luna. And an heir? What if your son is barren, considering how he lost his soul?"

That earned a roar out of him. How dare she think he was impotent? He couldn't bear young because he lost his soul? The bi—

"Finish that line of thought, sweetheart, and this time, say it aloud," the Death Luna said cheerily.

His mother moved in front of him. When he tried pushing her back, she shot him a glare and slapped his hand away. "I would appreciate it if you kept your hands to yourself." Then she snapped her hand back to the Death Luna and regarded her warily. "It's not only about my son, Luna. It's also about Reina. I regard her as my daughter, and she has told me how she lost her mother. For so many years, she hasn't had one...I think she would love it here, where I can be a mother to her."

"You don't act like a mother to your son, and suddenly you think you can become my mate's mother? Get out of here," he said with disgust.

"Don't you dare bring that up right now, Zeron—"

"—What, it's too fucking sensitive for you to hear? Well, suck it. Like I said before, you don't accept your own son, so back off and leave me and my mate alone."

"I don't like your attitude. You need to stop finding ways to hurt me and grow a conscience." His mother was shaking, and he didn't know if it was because of misery or fury. "And I mean it. Whenever you open your mouth, it's to deliver low blows, and I'm sick of it. Grow up! You think I haven't been a mother to you? You think you'd have been alive if I wasn't?"

"I'm alive because of my father, not you," he said. "There was never you in the picture. When are you going to see that? You're nothing to me."

And with those final words, the air shifted. There was a blast of coolness, and then an expression so broken in his mother's face, that he couldn't look away. But she did. "Death Luna," came her hoarse voice. "Please don't take Reina away."

The Death Luna gave her a gentle nod. "I understand, mother Luna. You have nothing to worry about." She came toward her and whispered something. When his mother nodded, the Death Luna beamed at her. Then the warriors moved out of her way as his mother disappeared up the staircase.