Eight: Soul Gazing

"We will lie on the dirt with the rest of our brethren," Sayora began the prayer before dinner. The candles overhead flickered sinisterly, casting strange lines along the walls. Reina was watching Zeron in particular. Everyone's lips had moved but his. He remained absolutely still. "Our dreams will perish," Sayora's voice continued. "And our bodies will darken to the sins of this world. Only our souls will remain in the darkness. May the Moon bring our souls to the light."

What a gruesome prayer, Reina thought to herself, but she didn't want to run her mouth again. She suspected everyone in the room was exasperated with her, and she didn't blame them. She could come off as a spoiled, impulsive brat. That was what her sister by law always told her, and Maddox hadn't exactly disagreed either. And being Reina, she didn't really give a shit. Most things in her life taught her not to care anymore. Opinions didn't affect her. Actions did.

Reina suddenly felt uncomfortable. She wanted to pull her hands free from Sayora and Zeron. She wanted to wrap her arms around herself, feel the warmth that her cold skin never gave her. So she decided to break contact by tugging her hands away. "So...can we eat now?" she asked, giving Sayora a toothy smile. "I'm kind of starving."

Killian, the one who sat right across from her, burst out laughing. "She's right, ma. We're all starving here."

Sayora gave Reina a warm smile and finally released her hand. "Then I won't hold you back. Help yourself. Actually, here, let me..." She rose to her feet and began reaching for the food. Quietly, she distributed the food in everyone's plates.

All the while, Reina could only smell the strange food. They were nothing like the Darklands, where she ate raw meat most of the time. It was a necessity there, because there was no other crops that gave one the nutrients and protein than meat. But here, there was actually seafood. Reina hadn't eaten fish in ages. Or eggs. Or those tiny things that looked like some kind of rice. There was also meat--venison, she guessed--but it was cooked.

"I haven't had cooked food in ages," Reina said, taking a huge bite with her fork. The flavors burst in her mouth and a soft moan of delight left her lips. "Always ate raw meat. We warriors aren't allowed to eat anything else. Keeps us alive, 'cause we fight in so many battles. It's ridiculous, actually."

"What's ridiculous?" Sayora asked.

"The amount of battles we fight," Reina told her, swallowing her food and taking a sip of her wine. The spirit swirled through her tongue and settled delightfully on her stomach. "It's a serious problem. So many rogues where we live. Those rogues are just treacherous."

"How so? The rogues around our territory keep to themselves," said Raymond. His gaze was fixated on her with interest.

"They are very depraved," Reina told him darkly. "They are horrible creatures. Ungrateful. And they love to victimize innocent females."

"The trafficking," Sayora acknowledged, her voice very low. There was a frightened look in her eyes, like she'd seen something that haunted her before. "It still happens?"

"Unfortunately, we can't seem to get rid of it. Alpha Rush, my cousin, outlawed it. My brother declared that any trafficking site that comes to our attention will be obliterated. And that's what's been happening, but there's always the underground business. They'll do anything for their depraved pleasures, and selling young females seem to give them not just money, but prestige. It's downright disgusting if you tell me."

"Have you seen any trafficking sites?" Killian asked, eyes wide. He was genuinely curious, as well as intrigued. She didn't blame him either--anyone outside of the Darklands thought the way they did things were just brutal, and the rumors weren't exactly wrong either.