Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven:

"Have you found anything yet Leonard?" Gerard asked through a clenched jaw. His short friend shook his head and Gerard continued to speak, the story already told. "The servant at Maurice's cottage is sealed up as tight as a drum!"

Gerard and Leonard were outside and it was dusk. They were scanning the section of the forrest by their favorite Pub, looking for paths that looked like it was hardly traveled, or any other clues - hunting clues - that may have suggested where Isabelle had disappeared to. Or, rather, taken to.

"Perhaps we need to sit back," Leonard said, scratching his chin and looking up at the darkening hues in the sky, "And wait for the opportunity to present itself to us. I know patience is not one of your strong suits, Gerard, but, really. There's only so much we can do."

Gerard huffed and folded his arms across his massively broad chest. That was not the first time Leonard had suggested that course of action, and as frustrating as it sounded, Gerard was, indeed, tired of searching and finding nothing.

Frustration was an understatement. Gerard was a huntsman! He could track wild animals, but he seemed to not find a single hint about the whereabouts of this grand estate. He was beginning to doubt the existence of such.

"Fine," he mumbled. Both men stormed off in the direction of their favorite Pub.

________

"Mmm."

Isabelle awoke to silk sheets, and an arm wrapped around her waist, pulling her into a bare chest. She sighed.

Adam shifted slightly and pulled Isabelle, if possible, even closer to him. "Mmm," he groaned again, wishing they could stay like that all morning.

"Are you trying to wake me up?" Isabelle whispered, teasing the man who was in love with her.

"Maybe," Adam mumbled into her hair, inhaling.

"What time is it?" Isabelle asked. She felt Adam turn and look at the clock on his nightstand.

He groaned, "Too early. Let's go back to sleep, Belle."

It didn't take long for sleep to claim Isabelle again.

"Papa!?" Isabelle was running through the house, terrified of the beast outside. "Papa!!!"

She blindly ran through the Estate's dark hallways, chosing direction randomly and becoming hopelessly lost. She ran, still calling for Maurice when she saw a light under a doorway. She ran to the door - it taking far longer than it reasonably should. Something was very very wrong.

"Papa!" she managed to yank the door open, and she saw Maurice, starving and shriveled in the dark corner of the empty room.

"Get back, girl," a familiar voice boomed through the room. A massive shadow of an arm held her back and she clawed and kicked and fought to break free. Her Papa needed her... her Pappa needed her...

"Belle?" Adam's voice was slightly alarmed and he shook her shoulders slightly to wake her up.

"Papa!" Isabelle's eyes flew open and landed on Adam's face. She had been crying and by the looks of the sheets, kicking. Adam's face was contorted into worry and he ran his fingers through her hair.

"Belle," he breathed, "What's wrong?"

"Papa," Isabelle whispered and let Adam cradle her against his chest. He stroked her hair and whispered calming things. "I miss him, Adam."

Adam had to swallow the lump in his throat. Could he let her go?

"Will you, please?" Isabelle pulled away and looked up into Adam's face. His brow was drawn together in concern and pain. His blue eyes were not iced over like they usually were - they were swirling with deep concern.