II

The loud noise coming from beside my bed was irritating. I banged my fist on the alarm clock in a hopeless attempt to get it to shut up. As the ringing continued, I pulled the plug to the clock only to find that the noise was coming from outside my door and a rush of panic came through me as I smelt smoke.

I jumped out of bed and raced against my own shadow to the kitchen. Where my brother, Xander, was standing over the counter, trying desperately to put out the fire coming from the toaster. I stood back to watch and when the sleeve of his shirt caught on fire, I cracked up. Xander turned to me as soon as he heard my giggles.

"This isn't funny, Rose!" He exclaimed, turning on the tap and splashing water everywhere. I grabbed a random towel hanging from a chair and started drying everything off as well as trying to calm the small fire. I finally got to my brother and dried his soaked arms. Another round of laugher bubbled from me and I turned to him, amused.

"You are the only person I know that would set the toaster on fire, Xander." I laughed, twisting the wet towel over the sink. The ringing of the fire alarm finally came to an end due to the smoke being cleared.

"You were taking too long so I decided to make toast," he gestured to the completely blackened piece of bread and frowned, "you know how that turned out." I laughed once again and grabbed an apple from the fridge, handing it to him. As he grabbed the apple, I noticed a light bruise forming on his right cheek and the redness coming from around his eyes, I bit my tongue from asking if he had been out, trying to avoid another argument. 

"You know, sometimes I believe that I'm the older sibling." I mused, walking to my room. I heard a snort as I left and smiled.

My brother and I have always been super close, even before our parents died. We've always had a bond that I couldn't really explain, he was the main reason I am who I am today. Sure, we fought, we weren't the perfect pair... But even if we did fight, the problems between us would instantly come to a close after one of us cracks a joke.

I smiled to myself and begin to get changed into my new uniform. I just got accepted into Gotham High and since I wanted to finish the semester at my old school first, I'm arriving half-way through the year.

The walk to Gotham High was quiet and relaxing, even if I was still paranoid and looked side to side every few minutes. After a while, I finally forced myself to calm down and that nothing was going to happen to me in broad daylight.

As soon as I arrived at the school, I went straight to the principal's office to receive my timetable. She greeted me with a warm welcome and sent me off to my locker and my first class. I placed my things in the small compartment and headed off to the west wing.

I looked down at my schedule and noted that I had English first thing. I grinned and tried to find the right room. After a while of searching, I finally found what I hope to be the right classroom and with a shaky breath, I gave out a sign and knocked on the door, waiting for the teacher to welcome me in.

dick's point of view

I was looking down at my desk as my English teacher was talking, going on and on about how this semester would be 'tonnes of fun' and 'engaging to the max, kids!' I nearly chuckled at her words but Miss Price was interrupted by a knock on the door. My head was still down but I heard the door creak open and soft footsteps enter the room.

"Oh welcome!" Miss Price exclaimed happily, "you must be new, am I correct?"

The girl, I presume it's a girl due to her light steps, must have nodded since Miss Prince clapped her hands softly and made her way to her desk, probably marking her present.