VII

For the past twelve weeks, I haven't stepped a foot outside my apartment.

I found my brother's old training gear for boxing and decided to take an interest in it so day after day, I punched the bag until my hands her numb and my arms aching. For three weeks, non stop, I imagined that puny bag to be the man who murdered my brother, the man who ruined the only person I had left to live for.

I know Robin stopped by a few times and I even saw Dick out front as well but I told Hinchly, the gate guard, to not let anyone up here. It hurt me to see Dick sadly turn away or stare at Robin's retreating figure, and I know I should talk to one of them, but it hurts too much and the thought of loosing those boys kills me too. Robin is already in enough danger enough and Dick is just so innocent, I just couldn't do that to him. He was my only friend, the only person who made an effort to know me.

I went out one night, though. I put on black hoodie and black jeans and went out to find someone - someone real - to punch.

I encountered a random thief in an old warehouse and put him down easily, placing him in front of a police department, but I wanted more of a challenge so I went to seek out a real villain. It was my complete luck that while walking around Gotham, Harley Quinn stumbled onto me.

She put up a good fight, all right, but through all my self defence lessons as a child and my newly gained muscle from all the training I forced myself to do, she slowly loosed concentration and I managed to override her and knock her out before I got too tired.

I went back home with my endless thoughts hunting me; it felt good doing what I did but Gotham doesn't need another petty or professional hero. America already had the Justice League along with with the Young Justice team forming up, I would never fit into that world and what would be the point of fighting crime every night?

Just because my brother was killed by some petty thief?

Maybe that was my reason. The man was just a petty thief, and the thought that this could happen to anyone, leaving a child fatherless, or a mother without a son, that killed me.

With all my thoughts affecting my emotions, I finally decided to suck up my grief and not shut out Dick anymore so I hopped on my brother's old bike and drove to Wayne Manor. During the ride there, I thought about Robin; what would he say if I mentioned that I wanted to be a hero? Would he laugh at the idea or support it?

I shook the thoughts out of my head as I pulled over across from the grand door. I got off the bike and stood freezing in my skinny jeans and thin hoodie.

As soon as my knuckles touched the wooden door, it immediately flew opened with Alfred's beaming face.

"Good afternoon, Miss Rose, Master Dick hoped you would pop by."

"Hello, Alfred, where would I be able to find him?" I asked softly.

"Top floor, second door to the left, Miss. And may I add," he smiled, "you look different."

I stared at him for a second and then smiled warmly, touching the ends of my now shoulder-length brown hair.

"Thank you, Al."

I slowly walked to where Dick's door stood proudly, placing my hand on the knob and simply stood there, thinking about what I would say to him.

"Do you need something?" I heard Dick's voice from behind me. I turned to find his hair stuck to his forehead and a towel wrapped around his waist. I swallowed softly and averted my eyes to his face. Who knew the nerd had figure?

"I'm here to apologize, for shutting you out."

"I understand," he smiled, walking closer, "I know how it feels."