A second before death

I couldn't run anymore. I fell to the ground, panting. I crawled under a tree, the moonlight illuminating the grass in front of me. I didn't dare look behind me when I heard the crunching of combat boots on dry leaves, but I felt a tug on the collar of my dress, and I was pushed the the ground, and in the second it took for the soldier to arm his gun, I remembered.

I remembered the day I went fishing with my father in the lake near town.

I remembered the day I learnt about numbers and letters.

I remembered the day I met my best friend at school.

I remembered the day I visited my grandparents in England. And the day I visited my other grandparents in Scotland.

I remembered the day I got an A+ in math... And the day I failed Science.

I remembered the day I punched a boy because he insulted my big sister.

I remembered the day my parents had a party, so I went outside and danced in the moonlight.

I remembered the day we got our cat.

I remembered my twelfth birthday party, and the red velvet cake and the jelly with ice-cream

I remembered the day I invited my crush to a camping trip with my friends... and finally got him to kiss me under the moonlight

I also remembered the day they came. 

The day I woke to the sound of screams and gunfire.

The day I ran through the streets, screaming for my sister.

It was also the day I found out she was killed.

I remember hiding in my best friends house, crying.

I remember that they attacked us again the next day.

I remember running, again, looking for a safe place to hide.

I remember my best friend's scream when she fell...

And my scream when I saw her blood on the streets and her blue eyes still wide with shock.

I remember running again and taking a gun off a fallen soldier.

It was heavy.

That was also the day I killed for the first time, and the day I swore never to do so again.

I remember raiding the shops for food, then running.

I remember nearly being caught several times, but narrowly escaping.

I remember running until I stopped in a meadow several kilometres away from my home.

I remember running, trying to stay alive.

I remembered everything that happened to me. 

But my last thought? It was my name.

I am Katie. 

All it took was one soldier. One gun, one bullet.

With a flash and a bang, my blood splattered on the grass. But I felt no pain.

And I didn't even have to know that white feathered wings had appeared on my back.

And I already knew how to use them.

I spiraled upwards, the light of the moon shining in my eyes.

I was free.