When Katherine is there

It was to good to be true. She knew it.

There was just no way that the dumbest, most unpopular girl in the orphanage would get adopted. But it had happened, and Megan was sitting on her new bed, in her new room, clutching her teddy. Her new family seemed nice enough, but there was something almost off about them. And Katherine agreed.

She sat on the edge of Megan's bed, staring at the wall, her light hair swept over her shoulder.

"I wonder what is in store for us." Said Megan. "What do you think will happen to me?"

"I don't know." Said Katherine. "You're going to a new school. That means new friends."

"Friends?" Megan snorted. "You're the only friend I've ever had. I doubt that will ever change."

"Well," Katherine shrugged. "Maybe you should start talking to other people."

"Come on." Complained Megan. "You're the only person I feel comfortable talking too. Or interacting with, for that matter." 

"If you don't want friends, you won't get them." Said Katherine. "Try making it happen. Start a conversation. Now, you have wiped the slate clean. Make a fresh start."

"What do you think the other kids are doing at the orphanage?" Asked Megan.

"Probably seething with jealousy." Said Katherine. "That, and partying because you're finally gone."

"Um... Thanks?" Megan said.

"Wel..." Said Katherine, leaning close to Megan. "What do you think your crush is doing right now?"

Megan blushed. "I don't like him." She said.

"Sure." Said Katherine, sarcastically. "What's not to like about him? He's athletic, smart, kind to small animals, not to mention very good looking, and–"

"Okay, that's enough." Said Megan. Katherine grinned.

"I need advice." Said Megan. "I'm starting my new school, and –"

The door of her room burst open, and Megan and Katherine stared at it in shock. Megan turned to Katherine, who immediately melted into the shadows.

"Hey Megan." Said the sweet voice of her new mother. "Dinner's ready. Come when you want."

Megan nodded, and the woman shut the door. Megan turned to Katherine, but she was gone.

Eyyyyy it's the author. Tell me who / what you think Katherine is...