Chapter 2:

January 2nd, 1962

I didn't sleep at all last night. The things that had happened kept swirling around my mind, like a tornado bringing wind back and forth. I would just about be asleep when BAM! They would come back to me again. The note, the coffee, Mrs.  Adams story... what do they all mean? Are they connected in some way? I won't know unless I go back to find out. I dressed in clothes that could easily let me run if needed, I could get dirty, and are easily blendable. I steeled myself, and walked out the door. It's only about 8:00 in the morning. It's Friday. It's cold out. So cold. I started walking. No matter what, I can't quit walking. Whether it be to or away, I will get to the bottom of this. At any, and all, costs. I quickly ran past the street, as the pedestrian light went on. I got to the office and went through both doors into the hallway. When I got there, I found Robert, Oliver, Fred, and Ben gathered around the door leading to Walter's office. I edged my way closer, and saw writing on the door in what looked like, well, blood. It said, The truth has set him free. I slowly opened the door, and found Walter lying on the ground, sprawled out. He had a gunshot through his abdomen, heart, and thigh. In his hand he held a small piece of paper. I looked uncertainly into Fred's eyes, and then walked forward, careful not to get blood on any part of me or my outfit. I grabbed the note and read it aloud, for everyone to hear.
"The note says, The time has come. Counting Down until the next murder. Watch those closest to you, for fear they will fall." There was a beat of silence. And then another. And then another. I counted out each second in my head. It took a minute and forty-eight seconds before anyone said anything. It was Robert who finally broke the silence.
"Okay. Ben, go get one of the ladies to call the police. Fred, get your camera to photograph the scene. Oliver, as soon as Fred is done, I want you to look around and see if you can find anything odd or unusual."
"What about me?" I asked as he finished.
"Jenny. Um... Right well you can, um... just... Why don't you go and get us all some snacks from the store? Maybe some coffee and donuts..."
"Ben, with all due respect, I should be on this case. I did graduate top of my class, was valedictorian, and had straight A's in school. Not to brag, but according to your file, I did better than you did. I am tired of doing paperwork." Ben's face slowly went white, then red, then purple, and white again. After a while, he spoke.
"Well then, Ms. Jenny. If that's how you feel, then go ahead. This is now your case. None of us experienced detectives will help you." He smirked at me, before strolling out of the room, looking as though the death of his co-worker, and friend, had no effect on him whatsoever. This was my first real case as a detective. There was no way that I would let it go unsolved.