Partners In Crime

Art by: iXima

It was time. No one would interfere with the plan.

Kaito tapped his fingers on his phone and pressed the arrow button. Message sent. Agent AK00 should be on the way. The mission was very dangerous but the end result would be satisfying. This was a fact Kaito knew. There were times you had to take some gambles to create a future.

Kaito was well-prepared for this heist. He wore a black sleeveless shirt, a navy blue scarf, navy blue jeans and black shoes. He felt like a chameleon. All he had to do was to wait for AK00.

Fifteen minutes passed and there was not a word from his accomplice. Not even a single emoji was sent. Getting impatient, Kaito swept his cobalt blue hair on top of his head and started debating with himself whether to call AK00 or forfeit the mission. The thought of retreating was painful but it was better to be safe than sorry. Kaito knew he was being a hypocrite but there was no point in fighting in a battle you cannot finish. In addition, the both of them would be in extremely deep trouble if anyone else found out what they were doing.

The sound of something tapping the kitchen window caught his attention and Kaito was brought back to reality. Walking towards the window, he spotted agent AK00 in the front yard. Seems that the mission can go as planned. Kaito thought to himself. Kaito threw down the house keys at his accomplice's direction and patiently waited for his accomplice.

The key landed on the soft, brown earth with a little splat. AK00 gingerly picked up the keys and dusted it before creeping towards the front door. Kaito was tempted to laugh at his accomplice's laughable action but his laughter might wake up the napping residents in the house.

AK00 tried her very best to open the front door as quietly as possible. She
succeeded in unlocking the latch but the door was not as cooperative as it
loudly squeaked open. AK00 winced at the sound produced and checked whether the coast was clear. Turn left, no one in sight. Turn right, no one too. Up ahead, not a single person!

Heaving a sigh of relief, AK00 quickly closed the door behind her and started making her way to the kitchen in quick, quiet nimble steps.

AK00 was gleefully thinking of the satisfaction after the operation. She was not supposed to be here. It was against the rules. No one was allowed to go over to other's houses without the permission of the head vocaloid in the house. But anyway, AK00 did not care that night. This was the night where she would be free.

Kaito greeted AK00 with a goofy smile on his face and slapped her back. "So, how did it go? Had fun sneaking into the house?" AK00 spun around and said in a sassy and sarcastic tone, "Of course I did, old man! Some smart pants decided to put thumb tacks near the entrance of the kitchen, in the corridor and on the stairs!"

"Sheesh, keep your voice down. Agent AKV1 is full of surprises. And besides, that's for revenge for your tardiness." Kaito replied with a cheeky tone. AK00 huffed and muttered "childish" under her breath and started raiding the refrigerator. Teasing, Kaito stated, "No, no Rana, I'm not childish. I'm youthful." Rana did not pay him any mind and concentrated on the task. What an attitude for a zero-year-old, Kaito thought to himself.

Kaito kept watch while Rana did most of the work. Satisfied with the amount of loot, Rana flashed a thumbs up. Smiling with glee, Kaito picked up the broom and dust pan and swept the thumb tacks away.

For a moment, Kaito regretted placing the thumb tacks in so many locations. Sweeping was not usually a tedious chore. It was just hard to see what he was doing in the dark. But nonetheless, the hindrances were eventually cleared.

Satisfied, Rana made her way to the library. The library was the only room that was safe to eat. The chefs would not fine the two of them there even if they got back early. It was finally rest day for the chefs in all the mansions in the neighborhood and they all planned activities for the day. Even though it was night time, they would not return soon as there were a lot of exciting attractions on the island.

Once the duo finally settled down on two comfortable, red armchairs, they devoured the ice cream. Their directors would look at them with disappointment and disgust as this behaviour was unacceptable. Especially for Kaito since he was an adult. But they did not care that night. No one would be stopping them.

Kaito reflected back upon the days before the mission, how he carefully planned everything. But his thoughts wandered to a certain person. He had trouble finding an accomplice that was willing to cooperate. He was close to Meiko but she was not into it. She also did not have enough time due to her schedule. English classes and homework have been assigned to her and she had to juggle a lot of responsibilities. Singing was not hard to manage but the trouble was being the vice head vocaloid. Being the head or vice head vocaloid meant being responsible for the other vocaloids' actions whenever they got into trouble whether it was at a sleepover or at home. Being a head or vice head vocaloid was basically like a leader of a certain group of vocaloids. In the Crypton mansion, Luka was the head vocaloid but she was busy with other responsibilities so Meiko had to get the job done most of the time. It was hard as Meiko was usually tempted by one of the seven deadly sins.

Kaito suddenly felt guilty and lost his appetite. The thought of Meiko getting into trouble because of his selfishness made him feel bad. He was so preoccupied that he did not hear Rana call his name. He only took notice of her when she waved her arm in front of his face.

"Yes Rana? What is it?" Kaito asked.

"Why have you stopped eating your ice cream? I know you like frozen yogurt more but it's strange to see you with a sad face and half melted ice cream," Rana said, with concern and curiosity in her voice.

"Oh, err..." Kaito's tongue seemed to have been tied as he struggled with his words.

"I w-was just wondering why you came here in pajamas and our secret names. Oh, and how you lost your bodyguard. It just seems fishy." Kaito lied through his teeth.

"Oh. That. Well, for all you know, I'm smart! I went to the supper festival at the park. There was such a large crowd so it was easy to lose Mr Wilson! But don't worry, I texted and said I safely arrived home. So I'm in my pajamas, when Mr Wilson comes back he'll think I was in bed. And I thought AK-47s had cool names so why not naming ourselves after them? Pretty cool right?" Rana answered with so much enthusiasm.

Kaito was shocked at Rana's "brilliant" plan. The both of them, Meiko, Luka and Mr Wilson would all be in trouble. Rana's plan was just like a poorly written story that did not make much sense. There was no way the bodyguard would believe Rana's tale. The absence of the Crypton bodyguards suddenly dawned onto Kaito. He was about to yell for them but he remembered that they were on patrol duty.

Just as things could not get any worse, someone opened the library door. It was dark outside but Kaito recognised the silhouette of the two people. It was Meiko and Luka dressed in matching purple pajamas. And they were far from happy. Kaito could not decide who was scarier. Short, brown messy haired Meiko with pure anger written on her face or Luka with neat pink hair and baby blue eyes filled with disappointment.

Suddenly, Rana's previously neat pink braids became frizzy. Uh oh.

"Kaito, Rana, what are you both doing at this hour?" Meiko asked. Her usually comforting brown eyes now glaring at the both of them. If looks could kill, Kaito and Rana would have melted at the speed of light.