Chapter 3: Surfs Up

Hi everyone!! As mentioned in my profile The Crystal Chronicles is a published novel and available for purchase if you would like to read ahead ( a lot of people have been asking lol). If you are interested in purchasing the book please click the external link at the bottom of this page which will send you to the bookstore on my website! Happy reading everyone! Xoxo

Feel free to check out my YouTube channel below! l I make videos about writing, publishing, lifestyle, and true crime. If any of that interests you, feel free to subscribe to my channel! (I post every Tuesday)

***

"I don't think this is very fair at all," I complained to my mother early the next morning. I had woken up to find that reality remained unchanged: I was still a Draken and still leaving in three days—two if I didn't count the day that had already started.

"Two days isn't a very long time."

"I'm sorry honey, it's protocol. Do you have a lot of people to say goodbye to?"

I flushed, moving the spoon around in my cereal, distractedly. It was sad that I had not made friends in my sixteen years of life. I was just another face in an always-moving crowd; no one would miss me or even remember me after a few days. It was my fault. I had done nothing to stand out.

"I guess not." Maybe it really was for the best that I was leaving. "I just don't really understand how I never noticed any of this before." I couldn't keep the cold accusation from my voice. Was I really that oblivious to the things happening around me? My parents had said that my anger had been the outlet to releasing my magic, but I had been angry plenty of times before.

My mom sighed, pulling a chair out to join me at the table. "Power sets in at different times. Some Elementals develop their magic through training while for others it comes naturally. Emotions are always a trigger for magic. And that's what happened to you. We wanted to hold it off for as long as we could."

"Why?"

My mom smiled tightly, wringing her hands together. "We wanted you to have a normal childhood. It's a dangerous world out there. We didn't want you to be part of it until you absolutely had to." Their intentions may have been good, but it certainly wouldn't help me in the long run. I couldn't avoid a birthright, even a birthright I never knew I had.

"You'll be fine at Magnorium Alyssa; I know you will. It's a great school. Speaking of which, you're going to be late for your last day."

"Is going really necessary?"

My mom frowned. "Yes. Now hurry up."

I groaned inwardly. There was no point in stepping a foot back into that school. It had brought me nothing but stress and self-loathing. The only person who would suffer from my absence would presumably be Tori, as she would have no one left to torment. I frowned. Tori.

"Alyssa, are you coming?"

I shot up from the kitchen table, a faint smile playing at the edges of my mouth.

"Yeah, I'm coming."

                                                                                     ***

By the time my mother dropped me off before first period, I was convinced that my idea was a good one. Coming to school only to get revenge on Tori through my magic wasn't the best direction for my moral compass, but at this point, I no longer cared. I had enough of enduring the taunting, the insults, and the fights. Before, I had no real defence mechanism, but now I did, and this one could be utilized on command if I just figured out how.