Chapter 5 part 2: Arrival

Hi everyone!! As mentioned in my profile The Crystal Chronicles is a published novel and available for purchase if you would like to read ahead ( a lot of people have been asking lol). If you are interested in purchasing the book please click the external link at the bottom of this page which will send you to the bookstore on my website! Happy reading everyone! Xoxo

Feel free to check out my YouTube channel below! l I make videos about writing, publishing, lifestyle, and true crime. If any of that interests you, feel free to subscribe to my channel! (I post every Tuesday)

***

"What floor are we going to?" I asked Mrs. Musk curiously. According to the school, I was average, so where did that put me exactly? She looked at the piece of paper in her hands and shrugged.

"Eighth floor." As the doors finally slid open, Magnorium's hierarchy began to form in my head. Clearly the more powerful you were, the more luxury you lived in. This hallway was dim and narrow, and the walls in need of a serious paint job. The dorm room doors were significantly smaller than the ones on Haven's floor, and the rooms much closer together. They must have packed a lot of kids into this hallway, I thought. Mrs. Musk, who seemed unperturbed by the unfairness of it all, moved to the left of the hallway, unlocking one of the many doors. I followed her hesitantly inside.

This particular room had a wonderful scent of decaying food and week-old laundry. The room wasn't big at all—tolerable for two, but certainly not three. The floor was bare, covered in harsh grey tile, and the walls didn't exactly match any of the décor, being an ugly shade of orange. There were only two small beds rammed up against one wall. The rest of the space was occupied by a small television and a small table. I didn't see a bathroom or even a closet. I recoiled in distaste.

"This is your new room!" Mrs. Musk exclaimed, seeming excited for me.

"Great," I said dryly. "It's so cozy."

"I'm so glad you like it!" Mrs. Musk gushed, apparently not noticing my sarcasm. I nodded, with my eyes still scanning the room. To make matters worse, the room was horrendously messy, with clothes and other items thrown about. I felt claustrophobic just standing in the doorway.

Mrs. Musk pressed a key into my hand. "Here is your key, Mondo will be by later to deliver the stuff left out in the car. This whole room will be rearranged later to fit your accommodations. Any other questions?"

I shook my head mutely.

"Good," she smiled sincerely. "I'm sure you will settle nicely here. After all, this is where you truly belong!" And then she was gone as quickly as she had come, leaving me alone for the first time that day.

The events of the last three days suddenly rushed up to greet me, and what I once thought as fantasy was now becoming a reality. I was stuck here. I reminded myself to breathe, drawing in big gulps of air. I was fine. So what if my room was ugly? The school was still like a palace, and I didn't even need to spend that much time in here anyway.

"Who the hell are you?" an angry voice yelped. The door was open again, but this time a blonde girl stood behind me in nothing but a pink bathrobe, wet hair plastered to her skull. I didn't even hear the door open.The blonde looked royally ticked off, her mouth hanging open. To be fair, I'd be angry too if a random stranger was suddenly in my room.

"Hi," I said quickly, hurrying to explain myself. "My name is Alyssa Brooks, Draken ... I'm a new student here. Is this your room?"

"Would I be standing here if this wasn't my room?" the blonde drawled, looking increasingly displeased with every second that passed.