Chapter 10 part 3: Apprehension

It really was impossible not to hear the circulating rumours about the fights that went down in the Advanced Battle Strategy class—the widely anticipated fights. There were stories of the entire room being ripped apart, or participants receiving permanent injuries. There was even talk of a death. None of the rumours floating around the school were particularly pleasant; so when I walked into my first ever battle strategy class after lunch, and saw Elda sitting there in her wheelchair in front of the room, it was more than a little intimidating ... and intriguing.

I quickly followed Amber inside and sat down, raising my eyebrows questioningly. It might have been ironic, that the teacher of this class was an old lady in a wheelchair, but tons of people swore she was the best teacher at Magnorium.

"So I have decided," Elda announced, clapping her rough hands together, "that in honour of our new transfer—thank you, Alyssa Brooks—it is about time to have another team battle." That seemed to spark something in the rest of the class and they erupted in excited chatter.

"Most of you know the rules for this particular type of fight. Four students, whom I see fit to battle, are chosen. These students will fight in the training room," she motioned to the room directly behind her. Elda's classroom was split into two sections, a normal classroom and (connected to it) an enormous training room, with a huge safety glass window, through which the fights were watched by the non-participants. "The objective is to be the first team to press the red button at the far end of the room, using any strategy you see fit. To be clear, killing one another is not a strategy that I see fit." She paused for a moment, clearing her throat.

"In the past, these fights have been known to get quite violent, so please be careful."

I gulped, realizing that the rumours I heard might actually have some substance to them.

"When I announce the teams," she said "please join me up here. Team number one ... Alyssa Brooks and Zack Travie!"

I thought my name had just come out of Elda's mouth, but then again, I wasn't exactly sure. I mean ... it wouldn't make much sense to throw me in the midst of a heated fight, unless Elda wanted to see me squashed like a bug. The sound of Zack's easy laughter seemed to confirm that my name had been called, and the expectant look on the faces of the other kids told me clearly to get a move on.

"You do know she called your name, right?" Zack inquired casually, as I looked around. He was grinning at me. Things had changed between us since our conversation in the library, but still I only managed to blink up at him. "It's your lucky day to be paired with me," he boasted, "because I don't lose."

"That's funny, because I wasn't planning to either," I said, trying to get over my shock. I stood up abruptly, sending my chair flying and exuding more confidence than I probably should have. Elda grinned.

"Team number two ... Haven Reeves and Amber Travie!" Elda exclaimed enthusiastically. I couldn't stop my jaw from plummeting towards the floor, because Amber, Haven, and Zack alone were killing machines. I did not want to find out what it would be like if we were all together in one room. The likelihood that I could stand any ground against them was slim.

"Elda, are you sure about this?" Amber tentatively voiced the question that was on everyone's mind, genuinely worried for my safety. "She has raw talent, but she has no combat training."

"She's been deemed the most powerful person here for a reason," Elda said, dismissing Amber's concerns with a wave of her hand. Kurt might've deemed me that same title, but in no way did I agree with the assessment.

Elda's wishes certainly weren't up for debate, however, so I had no choice but to reluctantly follow the rest of them into the training room.

"You have exactly five minutes to converse and devise strategies with your teammate," Elda said, setting a timer on her watch.