Old Friends

Chapter 15—Old Friends

On Tuesday afternoon Mia drives to West Hollywood, making her way through the traffic on La Brea Avenue until she reaches her destination. She grabs a parking space in front of "High Voltage Tattoo" and parks her car. Mia dons her sunglasses and steps out of her car, slinging her bag over her shoulder as she closes the car door. She walks into the tattoo shop and is warmly greeted by Greg the shop manager, "Hey Mia! Long time no see!"

Mia grins, "Yeah I know, I've been crazy busy."

Greg asks, "So what brings you here?"

Mia is about to answer when Kat walks out of the back, "She's here to see me."

Greg grins, "Are you actually getting a tatt today?"

Mia nods with a grin, "Yes, don't look so damn surprised, I do have one you know!"

Greg laughs, "Yeah you do, in fact, Nate is working today; you should tell him hello."

Mia nods, "I will."

She turns to Kat, "I'm glad you could make an exception for me, I know you're not taking appointments anymore for yourself."

Kat grins, "Well I had a cancellation and we've been friends for years, how could I not."

Greg laughs, "Mia's finally getting tatted by the great Kat Von D, sweet!"

Mia flips him off with a grin as Kat says, "Hey I owe her! She's a huge reason my makeup line is doing well. She's been wearing it since the beginning." Kat turns to Mia, "Let's go into my area and take a look at what you were talking about."

Mia follows Kat into the back, thinking about how long they've known each other. They have a couple of common friends but their real bond is over a common ex-boyfriend; even though Mia briefly dated Jesse James thirteen years ago and Kat only seven years ago, their friendship really cemented itself over his inability to not be a douche bag. Mia knew she was drawn to Jesse because of his inability to commit to relationships and she, of course, didn't want someone long term. Kat, on the other hand, fell hard and didn't see through his lies and pretty bad boy smile. The women have remained good friends over the years and as Kat tells her, "It's probably the best thing I got out of that relationship with Jesse."

Kat sits down at her drawing table, "So let's see the shell." Mia opens her bag, fishing the small scallop shell out of her purse and handing it to Kat. Kat smiles, "It's very pretty, I could easily do a tattoo that looks realistic. Now you said it left a mark on where you wanted it to be tatted."

Mia grins, "Yeah it left a bruise." Mia turns away from Kat, pulling her leggings down so she can see the bruise on her butt cheek.

Kat laughs, "Do I want to know the story behind this?" Mia tells her about how it got there and Kat laughs, "Girl you had to have sand in every fucking crevice! Sex on the beach isn't for the fainthearted."

Mia chuckles, "Yeah, sand got everywhere. It took poor Norman forever in the shower to get it out of his ass crack."

Kat's eyes get wide, "You didn't mention that it was sex with Norman! What the fuck girl, now you're holding out on me?"

Mia shrugs, giving Kat a smirk, "Ummm, well yeah Norm and I have been a thing for a few months."

Kat grins, "FINALLY! You have had it bad for him for years!"

Mia laughs, "Yeah, I know." Kat leans forward and quietly asks, "So is it as good as you hoped?"

Mia blushes and mumbles, "Better."