FOUR

PLAIN SPONGE CAKE

INGREDIENTS:
-100 g flour
-120 g castor sugar
-4 eggs
-3-4 teaspoons baking powder

DIRECTIONS:
-Sieve the flour and baking powder. Sieve the sugar separately.
-Break the eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk them for about 5 minutes.
-Add the sugar lightly and continue to whisk until the mixture has doubled its bulk and become thick and white. Stand the bowl over a pan of hot water while whisking. This helps to increase the volume and to thicken the mixture. Be careful not to make the water too hot and not to allow the bowl to touch the water or else the eggs will curdle and the texture will be spoilt.
-Remove from the heat and scatter about one half of the flour lightly over the mixture and fold it in lightly with a metal spoon,being careful not to expel the air which has been whisked into the egg.
-Scatter the remaining flour over and continue folding until all is absorbed.
-Pour the mixture lightly into a cake tin which has been greased and dusted with a teaspoonful of flour and castor sugar mixed together.
-Dredge the surface lightly with castor sugar and bake in a moderate oven for about 25-30 minutes,or until top is golden brown. Be careful not to over cook sponge mixture or they will shrink and become tough.

***DON'T FORGET TO VOTE,COMMENT AND SHARE***