Chapter 4: Cold Sweat

*Boom*
"The ground quakes for miles across the country; not a state can escape the treamors. From even Seattle, they can be seen. Slowly, menacingly, white-orange mushroom clouds erupt all along the east coast.

"For a few minutes, the United States is silent, bafdled at what just occured. Then, the widespread panic begins. Major cities, such as Atlanta, Miami, and even Hawaii, have been incenerated in a wash of nuclear fire. Washington D.C. was also targeted, and was narrowly saved thanks to the Air Force Nuclear Defense System (A.F.N.D.S), developed and tested for the protection of the nation's capital, and for the 'commander-in-chief.'

"In spite of the nation's shock, the President launches the nation's most deadly contingency: project Atlas. The Atlas missile program involved satelite controlled nuclear strikes shot from orbit upom those intent on destroying the nation.

"In minutes, the following enemies were launched upon: China, Germany, Iran, and Lybia. In only a mattwr of days, the U.N. converted into a new department: the International Recovery and Protection Agency (I.R.P.A).

"The formerly peace-inciting institution suddenly began restoring order, forcing governments to cooperate and restore order to the world. China banded together with Vietnam and Japan againat I.R.P.A, forming the Eastern Alliance.

"This doccumentary is to insteuct new troops before deployment into the unknown dangers of the world's beoken countries. You, as an I.R.P.A. soldier, are expected to keep order, and refrain from inciting conflict of any lind unless provoked or ordered to.

Now go out there and win this war! For the people! For the Nation! For the Wor--"

Armin's gasp cut the mist like a knife, his sweat perspirating with thw morning dew. His eyes darted lef, then right. There was a girl on his right, her face inches from his. Her hand was enveloped with his own; now, both his hand and his face were quite warm.

What the he- KATELYN?! he thought. He sighed, after calming down, and slowly smiled.

You kept the promise. You actually came...

Armin glanced at the sun. It was about 4, maybe 4:30 a.m. time to get some breakfast! he thought.