Chapter 7: Reminiscing

The wind cools the hot afternoon's heat. Two bluebirds sound out in the evening air, happily singing as they chase each other from tree to tree. Two shadows danced in the firelight along the forest floor. Armin's fave was partially hidden by the fire, making him look even more mysterious to Katelyn. His eyes shone like a turquoise beacon against the oranges and reds of the light.

He hadn't said much of anything since the ride earlier that day. He'd held her hand, and set her down so she could sleep while He drove. He seems more... protective of me now, she thought. She sat next to him, quietly studying him as he mingled with his thoughts. It was hard to make out, but she could see through the holes in his shirt and jacket. He had gained some more scars since their last encounter.

Finally, she spoke. "Hey."
"Hey," he said. He gave a faint smile, but she knew something was wrong. He had the look of a war vet on his face, much like that of her grandfather. Grandpa Cecil always had that bleak look on his face whenever he reminisced about Vietnam. She gently took his hand in hers,and turned his head towards her face.

"Look. I didn't come all this way just to see you be so distant from me."

He gave her a sad look, but with a glimmer of hope.

"...It was two years ago. Around the time I left for the military."
That long ago? He never got the chance to say what he was going west for...

Armin's face turned towards the fire. His hand lightly squeezed hers, and she repaid the feeling. He continued.

"The West was in shambles by then, the states declaring their independence from any remaining government. The Nevada Republic, in tandem with the Western Alliance, retaliated against the remaining U.S forces. My unit was sent out on patrol in a dangerous territory: the Las Vegas strip."

Armin shuddered. I've never seen him shudder like that. What happened?

"The strip was more or less abandoned... or so we thought. My squad entered a firefight." Armin winced, holding his right side.

"I was captured by the enemy, and taken to be patched up and interrogated. This group had holed up at the Hoover Dam when the bombs fell. Those people..." His face was filled with pain. Still, he continued.
"They made me fight for them, in their twisted rings. They forced people, entire families, to work the dam for electricity. Those who refused were forced to fight for their freedom."

"So how did you escape? It sounds horrible!" Katelyn's expression changed to that of curiosity.

"Can... can I see your scars?" she muttered.

Armin's gaze dawned. "I guess... It would be okay. I'm not proud of them, or how I got them."

He slipped off his jacket, revealing a slim, bulletproof vest. Katelyn was surprised; that technology was expensive to make, much less to find anywhere. As he slowly opened his button-up shirt, so did her mouth gape open. He was ripped, even more so than when she stumbled in on him on his twentieth birthday; That was three years ago. Now, she started noticing the blemishes.

There were stitch marks covering different places on his body, including a long, twisted scar under his left bicep. Unable to help her curiosity, Katelyn began to trace her hand along the scar. She could feel his heartbeat, and his lung slowly move up and down in his chest.

"That scar was the worst one. The damn supervisors thought it'd be fun to pit me against a giant. Yürig, a former Russian heavyweight, was my competitor. Our prize was our life. That day,I walked to the dam's infirmary with my lung cut open... and Yurig's lung."

Katelyn gasped. She knew he was capable of violence, but she'd always seen him as tender,and gentle. Armin seemed to sense her gaze,and he shifted uncomfortably.

"I did what I had to in order to survive. Even though it seems crazy... you're the reason I got out." He gave her a smile that made Katelyn's face flushed.

"There wasn't a day that went by when you weren't on my mind. And..." He put his hand on her shoulders, and said, "I love you Katelyn Angela. I've wanted to do this for a long time."

She opened her lips to speak,but they were gently closed with his own. His lips were softer than she'd remembered, but that didn't matter. She slowly closed her eyes, and let her passion out. Katelyn put her hands on his chest, slowly pushing him down onto the log bench. He responded, wrapping one arm around her waist,and the other still holding her hand.

Their breaths were short and quick, steam leaving with each parting. Their tongues fought for dominance as Katelyn felt her shirt being tugged at.

She broke the connection, both her and Armin gasping for air. A single strand of saliva hung from their lips, breaking off after thinning out.

Still catching her breath, Armin said, "That was... intense."

"Definitely a change of pace," she replied. They looked at each other, their faces the same shade of red. In their kissing, Katelyn had positioned herself atop Armin's lap. To Armin, Katelyn had always had a look in her eyes, usually of knowledge. But now, her brown irises shone in the light of the fire, giving off a mysterious clean. She wants something more, doesn't she? Armin's thoughts were as fast as his heartbeat.

Katelyn gave him a mischevious smile. She took his hand, and slowly pulled him towards the back seat of the pickup. Armin's last thought of the evening was this: this world might not be what it used to be, but it's worth changing if it means making it better for her. For them all.

Their thoughts, however, were quickly put to rest as the night drifted on.

Hello my wonderful readers! I hope you enjoy my works with this story, and would ask that you share this story with as many people as you can.

If you have not seen my other chapters, then I will reiterate what has been said:
I need an artist for this project! If there are any decent artists out there, or perhaps a team of them, I would be in need of your services. Also,tell me if you liked this chapter! I made it a little spicier as per the request of a reader. Thank you so much for the support! Ciào bellá!