Chapter 5: Bacon

"Katelyn! Wake up, hon! Come get your breakfast before training!..training...training...
*gasp!*

Katelyn's eyes snapped open. Her nostrils took in the smell bombarding the smell of the forest; a smell she had not known since... home. For a moment, her mind, heart, and stomach, yearned for it: bacon.

Then, Katelyn realized three things: One, Did she burn her home down in the night and this was the smoke? Two, Did some rodent fall on the fire spigot overnight making breakfast easy? Or three... did someone find my camp?

She quickly, but silently, reached for her rifle. To her surprise, it wasn't there; she grasped at open air. The smell of bacon and possibly an intruder panicked her. That rifle has been my savior! I CAN'T loose... she stopped.
Armin...so it wasn't a dream! He's actually here!
Her netting split, making her jump. A rugged yet familiar face came into the camoflauged hole she called 'home.' Even though he's obviously seen more action without her, he still had his piercing blue eyes. Even at night, as she could recall, they shone like turquoise waters on some tropical shore.

"Uhm... surprise?" He said.
Then, something weird happened. Katelyn forgot the world. Seeing his face, seeing him here and safe; that was all she needed. She stood in front of him, a curious look on her face.

He smiled, and said"What? Is bacon too common, madám?" He adorned a stupid grin, a sight for sore eyes.

She wrapped her arms around him and hugged him, like she would never let him go. "Thank you..." A single tear streamed down her face, dripping on his jacket.

His smile grew more tender, his eyes also shedding a long-overdue tear. She felt his hands wrap around her, one hand slowly caressing her hair.

"Y'know, that's pretty dramatic for some bacon."

She looked up at him, green meeting blue. Her lips met his, and the words were left aside for that one moment.

"That," she said, "was for the bacon."
She kissed him again, more passionately than before. Her left palm slowly caressed his shoulder, their breaths long and relaxed. She broke the connection, and looked at his face. He was now more relaxed.

"And that was for..?" He asked, slightly dazed (yet contended).

"For making it here alive." Katelyn then did something else unexpected. She balled her fist and hit Armin in the stomach. It was firm, but he still shuddered at the blow.

"OW!" He exclaimed. "What was that for?!"

She gave him a smirk as she began to scrape the bacon off her skillet.
"For taking so long. Why does it take 2 years to get groceries?"

The two laughed, a sound not heard in a very long time. The sound was quite loud, but was carried by the mist and lazing wind.