Chapter 12:Under Stars

Mist gathered along the now quiet causeways, condensating the stone storefronts and miscellaneous trash from the evening festivities.

Aside from the cleaning crew and night patrol, only the chirping of distant bugs broke the early morning silence.

Mikayla traced the lines in the wood on the bench, collecting water droplets as she did so. The color change intrigued been

A shadow passed over the bench as Armin crossed behind Mikayla. She glanced at him, then turned away. Why'd I have to look? But that face... It'd been a while since she had really looked at Armin, and to no surprise, he was more rugged and handsome than when they'd last seen each other.

We were so scared back then, and yet... So sure of our lives. A tear touched the tip of her shoe. However, it wasn't hers.

Armin's hand closed around Mikayla's, a soft but firm grip. When she looked up, she saw another tear, this one from his left eye, stream to his chin.

" You saved me..." he whispered.

Before she could mutter, still confused as to what what happening, Armin continued.

"All the time, when I was gone, I thought of you. In training, a few sticky situations, even... at the Dam."

Armin's grip wavered, and more tears streaked his face.

"At one point, I wandered through the woods, with only a knife to my name. I nearly died that day; cold, tired, and alone. I'd even begun to think that-" he stifled a cough.

"-that you wouldn't want me anymore. With all the things we've been through, and all the trouble I've caused... I don't want to lose y-"

Mikayla gently put a finger to Armin's lips, her eyes and smile alight like the sky.

She pulled him in to embrace him, and he gladly obliged. A small sob came from Armin, muffled by her jacket.

She pushed him back a bit, meeting his eyes with hers.

Smiling, she said, "In not going anywhere pal, wether you like it or not. And as for all the years apart... I knew you would come back for me, someday."

They kissed as the fog began to roll in. The dew glided around them, their lips dampening as they played with their partner's. As the kiss deepened, so did the Night roll away into daybreak.

As the sun rose over the rocky cliffs into their safe place, Mikayla sighed, a deep and relaxed sigh.
My home is with you, she thought to herself as they slowly settled on the bench.