~ Pilot ~

It was one cool day at the campus. All the cadets were busy spending the rest of their day studying for the upcoming test. Sitting at the tables outside, the breeze had a peaceful feel to it. Yet Reiner now knows that Annie would never accept him.

~ 2 days ago... ~

The lunch was normal and casual as always. Reiner had come to his senses and decided that he'd confess to Annie his feelings.

(Reiner's POV)

Yes! Annie is all alone. This is my chance. I thought in my head as I peered over Bertolt's shoulder. I couldn't help but stare.

"Reiner!" I heard.

My focus switching to Bertolt, "Huh??" Unaware of what the deal was.

"You're staring off again..." He smiled, with a few chuckles.

"Oi!" I said, embarrassed, as I scratched the back of my head. "Thanks for, uh, noticing."

I looked down at my lunch. I thudded it against the table and rose up. Bertolt glanced up at me as I turned towards Annie's table.

"Where are you going Reiner?" He asked as I walked to the other side of the nearby table.

     A few seconds passed, then he resumed to drinking his soup, making a shy, small shrug in silence. As I seated beside Annie at a not-too-awkward distance, I looked at her. She paused for a few seconds from looking at her lunch, then looked at me with her usual emotionless face.

"What brings you here brawny?" Annie questioned, looking into my eyes.

I looked to the side, a little embarrassed and blushing, "There is something I've been wanting to tell you..."

She still stared, silent, waiting for me to continue, as I could see in the corner of my eye. I looked at the ground and closed my eyes, with fear she'd not take me seriously.

"I've....had feelings for you for the last year and a half..." I said, then opening my eyes, looking at her...eating lunch...

Wait...had she heard me?!! My mind choked on questions, but at last, the seemly awkward silence was broken.

She paused, still as the air, "Love is only a distraction, so I best avoid it. I'm sorry Reiner if this came to you as cold hearted...But... <sigh>...You're a great friend." ending with a little reassuring smile. She got up from the picnic table and headed to put her tray away and head to the cabins. As usual when she leaves.

I stayed in my seat, just thinking. I was speechless... My face twitched, Was I going to...cry? This isn't like me! I heard the crunch of gravel near me, it was if someone was approaching me.

"Reiner? Are you alright?" I heard as a hand rested on my shoulder.

It sounded familiar, like Bertolt's. The one person who I knew well, truly cared about how I was feeling. I quickly swiped my wrist over my red face, wiping a tear that was trying to repel down my cheek. It would ruin my reputation of being a tough guy if someone saw me crying, even Bertholdt.

I didn't dare turn my face to him, silently trying to avoid being seen like this. I kept my face forward, trying to ignore him and hope he'd walk away. All of a sudden, I felt him take his hand off my shoulder and lay his head there instead, wrapping his hands around my waist. What's he doing? Sure isn't any hug I've ever experienced before??

"I never want to ever see you cry Reiner... It'll make me cry too." He said softly.

He knew I was crying? But how? This isn't like Bertolt... Though I it strange. I felt my cheeks heat far more. Was I...blushing?

He backed from me, his embrace no longer lasting. I have to hide my face! It would make this situation awkward and even hurt our friendship. But I had to say something, I was being silent for too long!

"I..uh.." I stuttered. Crap! I didn't know what to say, what an idiot!

"Here." I heard as I saw a hand held out to me.

Well, I guess I will. I took his hand for the moment and rose to my feet. After backing from the table I looked at him, shimmering his positive smile.

"Im... I'm alright. No need to worry Bert." I said, rubbing the back of my neck. It seemed a bit awkward. He turned to our usual table, looking to see where he placed his tray.

"Just wanted to make sure!" Bertholdt said briefly, then heading to return his tray too.

I went and got my tray from Annie's table and as I walked to the bin, I pondered what just happened. Had I just blushed to another man? Maybe it wasn't Annie that interested me all this time... After all, he was the one who understood me the most. But, Bertolt has always been a friend, even before I became a cadet in training.

~~~~

Frost-chan: Hello friends! Hoped you liked the first chapter! Working on the 2nd one now, working to expand from my notebook XD Hope you liked it! After all, this is my favorite OTP form Attack on Titan!! :D