The Night before Graduation.....

A/N

I'm going to have some (possibly) heavy spoilers in these chapters here, so if you haven't read the manga and that...you might see some spoilers and fiction worked into the story, so yeah! Some stuff might be triggering too, but bare with me! :2

(3rd Person View)

It was early in the morning. The grass was crisp with its dew and the air was peaceful. Everyone is excited about the fact that they were going to graduate the next day. But that was no excuse for being lazy! Exams and tests that were on all that they, the cadets, had learned were dreaded to come in a few hours. Yet everyone was still trying to sleep in as much as they could before they got the air horn terror that the instructor had, in his voice, of course.

(Bertolt's POV)

"Tch...." I let past my lips as I rolled over in my covers, uncomfortable. I couldn't sleep at all last night. Another mission was dawned to happen the day after tomorrow. I'd be the cause of killing more innocent people. I regret volunteering that day to be a warrior, and even more so each time I have to breech the wall or kill. I closed my eyes as prickles of pain made them start to water. 

"UGHHHH..." ... <THUD >

I opened my eyes, wiping a tear off my cheek. Connie looked like he had rolled of the side of his bed. He lied there half covered with a blanket hanging from his bed. He had his mouth wide open drooling, I couldn't help but to snort a little and grin. I gripped my pillow, which I held tight to my chest and thought, What a silly guy Connie is... -

The door bursted open, <KACHACK! > ... "TIME TO GET UP MAGGOTS!" A certain somebody said...Instructor Keith.

I watched as everyone slowly emerged, groaning and tired. Connie woke up, leaning up. As clumsy as he is, he hit his shoulder on the railing of his bed, trying to sit up.

"OUCH! Wah? How did I -" Eren interupted Connie's grumbling with sass, "You fell out of bed again dumbass..." Irritated, Connie commented back, whilst standing up and making his bed, "Tch, why Eren! Why don't you try falling off your bed..." 

Eren sighed, "A bunk bed is different, forget about it anyways..." Climbing down from his bed.

I smiled and tried to shake off thinking about the mission. After getting into our clothes. We headed in for breakfast. I expected there was going to be some planning of the mission before hand. As I walked in, I headed for my usual seat for lunch. Which was all the way at the back of the classroom, isolated from everyone but Annie and Reiner who sat with me.

"So Reiner, what's it going to be this time?" Annie said, low and monotone. Reiner looked from the table to me, Annie did the same. The look in their eyes, it was the same one they gave to me as they told me to breech Wall Maria. Only this time, it was going to be Trost District.

Why? Why did more people have to suffer because of me. Why do I have to be the one to get blood on their hands?  I tried to hold my emotions to myself. I felt as if I just couldn't do it anymore. But we have  to capture Eren and I promised my duty as a warrior. It wouldn't be honorable to break my word.

"Ye-yeah, I'll do it Reiner...you can count on me..." I said, then ushering under my breath, "I guess"

He padded me on the back, murmuring something I couldn't translate while he left the room. I felt like I was getting intensely stared at. I looked up, not to be surprised, Annie was waiting for eye contact to make a point. Her stare was as cold and soulless, "Bertl..." Annie said, seriously.

"Hmm?"

"Reiner has been acting a little strange lately, perhaps you might know since you sleep with him?" Annie questioned me, I flushed entirely red, speechless when she said sleep with.

"Uh? Di-" She interupted me, "I don't mean it in...wait Bertolt are you? Blushing?"

Well shit, at least I can trust her since we've been friends since our Military practice in Marley.

"Well, okay Annie, I'm...er...I am not a straight noodle..." I tried saying. A drift of air made this awkward even more so.

"Haha..." Annie chuckled with a smug expression. She rarely laughs!?  "Does he know?"

Annie has totally caught me off guard upon so many levels. Yikes...

"Uh, uh...-" I was mindless of what to say, yet my face felt on fire. "Seems by your face, hehe, he does know." Annie leaned closer to me, on the opposite side of the table and held a finger to her lips, "Don't worry, your secret is safe with me Bertl" she hushed with a naughty grin. 

I snickered a little, unintentionally. But this behavior she just showed me left me awestruck, I never thought of what I'd do or say in a situation like this. The instructor got out of his desk and arranged himself at the front of the classroom.

"Alright maggots, this is your last day! So take these damn tests and make sure all this teaching you you worthless brats was worth the effort!" Keith shouted, slamming a stack of papers on the assignment desk.

Everyone grumbled at he walked outside the classroom.

"Ugh, can't wait to get out of this hell hole..." Jean rambled off as he made way to the papers. "Haha, but at least you learned how to do some pretty amazing things! Jean..." Marco gleamed. Sasha drooled slightly, "I hope we get a huuuuuge feast tomorrow!"

Everyone was excited, or some were just happy to get out. But I? I was stressed, feeling cramped internally, and more so, hatred towards myself. I bet people wish I would just die, or kill myself. For what I've done and have to do again. It's almost as if I have a rain cloud over me...

(2 hours later of intense "aids" in class. Which consisted of tests entirely. Imagine that torture!)

The door creaked open, (Kacha.) Everyone was done a few minutes early. Some had their heads to the table, half conscious, (maybe Connie happened to be spread out on the floor sleeping.) And a few just sketching in notebooks. Keith walked in and took the sight in.

Sighing deeply, he spoke, "Well, you did good scum. Lunch time!" He clapped twice.

Our class was extremely sluggish, except for Sasha, the mention of food was her coffee. Lunch was peaceful and mostly quiet. You could say it maybe was a little bit "stale."

Finishing lunch early, I snuck out to the cabins. I hated doing it, but I felt the need to. All this stress and unease of what others are thinking was driving me out of my sanity. It was a secret of what I do at times like these, one that only I held, and held tightly.

------

Hey Guys and Gals! Sorry it's been a while. Writer's blocks have been banging into me every step of the way. Ugh! I shall improvise, adapt and overcome this! Love you guys ^u^ - Frost