Hands

It's five o'clock on Sunday evening, and Chloe and I sit at the beach. We are still dressed in the clothes we wore to Zen's party the night before. After the party ended at five in the morning, we stayed back at his place to sleep and help clean up. Chloe digs her toes deeper in the sand as the waves from the water, crash on her feet. I roll up my trousers and put my feet beside her in the water.

"Last night was fun," Chloe says with a small giggle.

I relax my shoulders. "Yeah it was. Maybe we should do something like that again."

Chloe nods. "I had never seen the appeal of going out partying, but after attending one, I see why they are so popular."

"I think we did a good job," I say, "we didn't drink at all."

"Cheers to that one." Chloe gives me a high five. "So what are your plans for this week?"

"I'm thinking of moving out of home for a little while," I reply, gingerly. "Things are getting quite hectic."

"That's quite understandable," Chloe squeezes my hand and gives me a reassuring smile. "Where are you going to stay?"

"I'm planning on staying in the Caravan Park, until we're set to go."

"How did you parents feel about it when you told them?"

"They weren't too happy about it." I shrug. "But it doesn't matter now."

Chloe looks at me seriously. "I'm happy you feel that way, James. You should do what's best for you." She squeezes my hand again and I squeeze hers.

"Don't worry about me Chloe, I'll be alright."

"I know." She squeezes my hand again.

"We'll need to look at some places near your university, before our finals begin," I say, in a bid to change the subject.

"Yeah sure."

"And I'll also need to find a place to work."

Chloe turns towards me. "We have more than enough money to survive for a little while. There's no rush."

"I know."

Thunder rumbles in the distance and I cringe. "I suppose we should get going then."

Chloe nods her head, and I help her stand up. Together, we take our things and begin walking away from the beach. Ten minutes later, we're outside Chloe's front door and a small drizzle has begun.

"Are you sure you don't want to stay here until the rain stops?" Chloe asks, as she opens the door.

I shake my head. "I'll be fine. Besides, I need to get my stuff ready for school tomorrow."

Chloe sighs and smiles once more. "Okay. Just make sure you stay safe."

"I will," I reply.

"Promise?" Chloe squeezes my hand and I squeeze hers back.

"I promise."

"Okay. I'll see you tomorrow James Mandarin. It was fun dancing with you last night."

I burst out laughing. "It was fun dancing with you. See you tomorrow too."

"Goodbye." Chloe squeezes my hand once last time and I turn around and begin walking home.