Are you ready for it? (Part 8)

I see you cry and it makes me mad. I see the good in all your bad. Let's take this shitty life we have and throw it down the drain and run away. Just you and I (Angels and Demons)

Patrick didn't feel any remorse when he took the life of dull animals, wasn't riddled with guilt when he tormented his classmates, there was not a single ounce of contrition after he tested out just how far people would let him go and had realized he didn't need their permission. He was familiar with the norms of society, so conversant with them that he knew not to be seen, when he violated them all. And during all of that Patrick Hockstetter honestly didn't care about his victims. Except for evoking the most entertaining reactions from them.

Well, he hadn't cared until now. It wasn't like he had pushed it too far with the girl in front of him. No, he didn't even lay a finger on her today. Not that he didn't want to. It just didn't seem appropriate until now. "Hey", he finally spoke up after observing her retreating form, "I don't give a damn about what Mueller or Bowie say and honestly neither should you." Lacing his fingers with hers, he urged her to look at him. She complied. "You know how many rumours they invented about me? The whole damn town would be dead by now if they were true."

To his relief he noticed that a small smile began to appear on her face. It had been one of the worst feelings. Sensing her sadness -and for once he hadn't thrived of another person being down, -he had resented it- without the knowledge or experience to cheer her up. Being utterly powerless. "Yeah I guess so. But in every rumour there's also a bit of truth you know?", she had unconsciously started rubbing circles on the back of his palm. His eyes traced her fingers, strangely comfortable in that position. "Then go on, tell me about the truth. It's your turn to start the bargain."

She let out a cold laugh. "Can't we just pretend they don't exist? Dealing with them at school is already enough for me." Patrick regarded her with curiosity. He slowly leaned over to her. Just the palm of a hand would fit in between them. Her sarcastic mood had faded and made place for something far more meaningful. "They don't. It's only us out here.", once again he only whispered the secret with his velvety voice, completely drawing her into his spell. "I'll help you forget them. You only have to trust me, Sweetheart. Is that something you can do?" Still spellbound she only managed to nod. "Perfect", he accepted her nonverbal response and pulled her up to him. "Time for us to live divine"

---time skip---

"Patrick, wait!", she wheezed out while running after the taller boy as fast as she could. Arms snaked around her waist and spontaneously lifted her up to whirl her around in celebration. They finally came to halt in a back-alley. Out of breath they locked eyes, before both teens broke out into hysterical laughter, releasing the overflowing adrenaline from doing something forbidden. She took a little longer than Patrick to compose herself, while he watched her with a smirk.

"I can't believe we just did that!", she exclaimed, her cheeks still flushed from all the excitement. "It's better if you do.", he winked at her, "I didn't think you had it in you, but now we'll have to do it more often." He had started filling in their spoils in a worn out backpack. As she watched, it finally dawned on her just how much they stole from Bowie's store. How could he convince her to do something like that? And why did she enjoy it that much?

"Just on Greta's shift though.", she added. He simply raised an eyebrow, as if challenging her to question him. Then a second bag came flying her way. A small frown on her face she started packing her stolen goods. Guilt started pooling in her stomach. After all stealing was simply wrong. And purposely doing it on Greta's shift -Patrick had assured her that the only one getting in trouble would be the stuck up girl- just straight up mean.

But she had found it hard to despise herself for it, when Patrick's eyes had gleamed with such a childish glee, as he suggested it. Well, actually he just told her to get what she'd need and to run after him, when they were already in the store. At her blank expression, he had elaborated that Greta had it coming for her anyways -playing right into her strong sentiment of disdain from earlier on- and then he had thrown her that challenging smirk and she was a goner. He was beginning to corrupt her. And honestly, she didn't mind it as long as his eyes gleamed at her that way.

"C'mon are you gonna stay here all damn day or what?", to her embarrassment she realized that Patrick had already finished storing everything away and had apparently motioned for her to come along multiple times already. "Of course not. Please Patrick, show me how to live divinely.", the teasing had become a semi-automatic reaction for her. "Oh, I will.", the taller boy grinned, his voice in an equally as teasing tone, snatching three bottles of coke out of her hands, as he saw her struggling with balancing her spoils. "Don't worry, Sweetheart, I've gotcha back."

"This is divine for you?", she playfully mocked, after she had curiously followed him into the woods of Derry, coming to a halt at the junkyard. "Anything can be if I make it.", he retorted with a smirk, "But I just hid something here that we could use tonight" She paled. Did he just imply what she thought he did? Simply honest interest in her character would have been too good to be true. She should have anticipated it beforehand.

"I never said I'd stay tonight. I've got to be home by seven and you, too.", she had unconsciously assumed a defensive position, her arms crossed in front of her chest while she watched his rummaging behind old wheels suspiciously. Still bent down over all the junk he looked up at her. "Don't worry. We'll be finished by then. Your poem just reminded me of some explosions I could introduce you to. You know, we already did some of your poem with the sin part. Not saying we won't be sinning in the future of course.", he shot her a meaningful look. "You'll enjoy the rest too. It'll be truly divine, I promise."

Excitement gleamed in his eyes, only partly visible behind the strands of hair hanging in his face. Despite her weariness due to his suggestive words, she had to fight the sudden urge to get closer to him and push the loose strands behind his ears. He unbent, the strand still hanging in his face, the only thing she could focus on. As Patrick caught her gaze, he came towards her, apparently having found whatever he had been searching.

"Alright, let's go to the Quarry." This could have been her cue to leave. His surprise would definitely take place there. And who knew what Patrick's idea of explosion he'd introduce her to would mean. His idea of fun earlier on had been stealing from Bowie's store after all. And her hormone driven teenage mind did have some notions on what the taller boy could have meant with his plans for the night. " - You coming?", Patrick inquired. A tad of annoyance in his tone, that he didn't hold her full attention. If he only knew. "Yeah sure. I'm excited for you surprise", she flashed him a nervous smile. Was it solely curiosity or the rush of endorphins he had given her earlier on? Honestly, she didn't know what had convinced her to stay. She could always just leave when he made a wrong move. At least that's what she reassured herself with.

The Quarry turned out to display a serene landscape. She briefly wondered why she hadn't come here before. Patrick really added more excitement to her life in only this short time. Going out alone when there's a kidnapper or possible child murderer on the run also didn't seem that clever, but she neglected that idea. In utter amazement she took in their surroundings. Unaware that the boy in front of her never once took his eyes of her. "It's beautiful." Patrick scoffed. "You've seen nothing yet." He put down his backpack, now considerably fuller. What did he put in there? She wanted to ask, but he had already started unpacking. Despite herself she let out a disbelieving laugh at the content that was already dispersed on the ground. "Are you serious? That's about ten packs. Are you some kind of chain-smoker?", blurting out her confusion, she stared at the ridiculous amount of cigarrette packs and lighters in front of her.

"I don't smoke", he denied, still rummaging about in his large backpack, before adding with a smirk: "Depending on cigarettes is something for weaker people like Bowers. I don't have any weaknesses. I simply benefit from those of others." What would have usually evoked an eye roll, actually made her freeze this time. The picture of Bowers threatening her with his switchblade consuming her thoughts entirely. She should play nice with Patrick, so she could get the bully of her back. The memory of Bowers crazy stare still striking her to the core.

"You sure about that?", she asked, attempting her best to hide the slight tremble in her voice. "Having no weakness?" After taking in her shaken state, he came closer to her. Their chests touching, as he looked down at her. Still no sense of personal space. She felt her chest heaving up and down at the proximity. Her heart rate speeding up exorbitantly. "Absolutely.", he replied with a cocky smirk. "Anyways", he started a new train of thoughts, while running down his hand on her arm. Goosebumps formed at his tender touch, as the suspense almost killed her. "It's dark enough. Are you ready for it?"

A./N.: You know the drill by now:  THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!! And I'm sorry for the cliffhanger, but maybe you can already imagine what Patrick has planned..