Burn it down (Part 22)

Sad enough to say that alone I could barely light a match, but together we could burn this place down (Heroes get remembered, Legends never die)

Of course, the bonfire was at the Quarry again. She had been wrong earlier on. This was definitely their spot. She couldn't have dreamed of a better choice.

And of course, Patrick had been right when he told her that he'd arranged everything. While he was busy setting everything needed up, she had sat down by the supposed fire place. At first, she had naturally offered him to help. "Do I really look like I need help, Sweetheart", with a suggestive wiggle of his eyebrows had effectively shut her up. Apparently, he had caught her ogling him. But who could blame her?  Despite all his lankiness, Patrick really was much stronger than he appeared to be at the first glance. Even after being indirectly called out, she couldn't help sneaking glances at the way his muscles worked as he carried some bigger logs. When he turned her way again, she quickly tried to hide it by stuffing some marshmallows in her mouth. And just like with chips or popcorn once she started, she could hardly stop, while attempting not to be too obvious with watching the boy rummaging about next to her.

As he finally halted next to her, she automatically offered him some of the sweets, without paying much attention to the fact that the fireplace was already set up. "Alright will you do the honors of lighting it up?", he suggested after declining with a grin. His cheerfulness naturally infected her. So she couldn't help a smile forming, when she took his hand to pull her up. "Here's some matches. Better not use up all of them.", he teased, passing her a full matchbox. In a moment of childish glee she stuck out her tongue at him.

His eyes traced her shaking fingers as he lit one of the thin sticks. It was quenched in a matter of seconds. She pretended not to hear Patrick's stifled laugh, as she concentrated on lighting up another one. Carefully she moved down towards the fireplace, with the lit match in her right. Patrick's intense stare accompanying her every move. Just as she wanted to flash him a triumphant smile, a sudden gust of wind blew it out.

"Damn it!", she cursed in frustration. "Ooh watch your mouth, Sweetheart.", Patrick joked, chuckling slightly, "I'll just show you how to light it, no worries." She rolled her eyes at him behaving all mighty, but handed him the matchbox nonetheless. And of course, Patrick managed to light the match up on the first try, then he carefully bent down, shielding the fire with his left, before the little flame could ignite the firewood. Delicately his fingers were wrapped around the little stick, as he softly blew on it. His lips capturing her gaze. Without success. A light wind blew his match out as well. "Oh, so that's how I was supposed to do it. I didn't know...", she couldn't refrain from teasing him for her part. Patrick pulled his hand to his lips, blowing her a kiss with solely his middle finger raised. How extra.

Then he produced a lighter from his jacket's pocket. Using it to start the fire in few seconds. "You had this the whole time?", she asked incredulously. For a moment Patrick appeared almost sheepish as he shrugged. "Figured I'd teach you the old way.", he admitted nonchalantly. She saw right through his act. And to say she was positively surprised would be an understatement. Patrick Hockstetter, the boy who was known for not giving a sh*t about what anyone thought of him, earnestly tried to impress her! Not that she'd expected him to admit to that.

The crackling fire captured both of their attentions. And for a moment a serene atmosphere spread on the Quarry. Both teens lost in their respective thoughts. Once she looked up though, she beamed at the beautiful set of colours the fire painted the dark scenery in front of them in. By now she might have gotten used to seeing the Quarry, yet it never failed to astonish her once more in every different setting Patrick introduced her to. Out of the corner of her eyes she glanced at the boy next to her.