Twelve: deathbed

Bain and Neisa were in their 60's, almost dead. They didn't live very long lives in Middle-earth. Their daughter looked exactly like Neisa did, and their twin grandson's looked like a spitting image of Bain, though you knew one apart from the other. They were fourteen, near the same age as Bain was when he met Neisa. 

Their daughter was pregnant again. She assumed it was twins again, but she hoped for two girls. One named Neisa, just as one of the boys was named Bain. Neisa and Bain sat on their bed together, their grandsons on the edge of it, listening to their stories they told about their lives. Their daughter walked in and rubbed her heavily pregnant stomach.

"Time to leave." She said to her sons. "But mama, grandmother and grandfather are telling us stories!" The twin who looked most like Bain said, who was named Bain. "Please, let us finish. We had just started."  Neisa said. Amilda sighed and nodded. "Alright, fine." She said. 

"tell us the story of you two again!" Bain the second said. Neisa smiled. 

"There was a little boy running down the street one day, an older girl chasing her. I stopped the boy and told him to stop running. That was Neisa's younger brother. I told took Neisa home and wanted to see her again. My father told me not to get too fond of her. I wanted to be more than friends with her.

"One day, I told her I wanted to be with her, but my father disapproved of us.  One day, my father banished us. We hadn't seen each other in weeks, and finally, we ran off. We were found later that night." The boys gasped.

"After we saw each other in seceretsy, he asked to marry me. I said yes. We eloped. We ran away and married. Five years had passed and I was pregnant." Neisa looked at Amilda.

"But Bain was sent to war. Then, they sent him back. He never once fought. He came back to his pregnant wife, and only three months later, I had my baby.

"But because the baby was early, there were struggles within it being born. I said that if you had to chose between saving me or the baby, pick the baby. But afterward, the baby was alright and so was I." Neisa smiled at Bain.

"That is the tale for tonight. We have written books about the tales we have had other times. Read them all you would like." Neisa said.

"Bain is practically the prince of Dale. Won't his stories fall down in history?" The other twin asked. Bain laughed.

"There are many legacies, and I may not be one of them." Bain said. "But he was an incredible man." Neisa said.

Amilda smiled. "Alright, boys. Wait outside. Time to leave. I have a few things to say to them." Amilda yes. They hugged their grandparents and Amilda rubbed her stomach. "I think there are twins. It was just as large whenever you were expecting them." Bain said.

"Yes, but you also thought Neisa was expecting twins." Amilda stated. "I did not. Her brothers did." He said. She smiled. "Amilda..." Neisa said, her smile fading.

"Yes?" Amilda replied. "Bain and I think it is our time." She said. "What?" Amilda said. "Tonight is it. We believe. Our time is running out." Neisa stated. "Mother..." Amilda slowly said. "Do not fear. You still have your sons and your brave husband, who is off in war for you." Bain said. "But..." She started. "Amilda, it is our time..." Neisa said.

She looked at her stomach. "It is your time too." Neisa said nodding. Amilda felt a drop in her stomach. "The babies..." She said slowly. "I knew it." Neisa said, Bain laughing. Amilda smiled. "Don't go. At least meet these two." Amilda said, a tear down her face.

"Why? Why must you leave now?" Amilda asked. "It is our time." Neisa said nodding. She hugged her parents before feeling a piercing pain in her stomach. "Find a healer, Amilda." Neisa said nodding.

She kissed her parents cheeks. "Goodbye, mama and da." She said closing the door. She saw her sons. "Boys... your siblings are coming." She said. "Find a healer quickly, then write a note to your father."

Neisa looked at Bain before kissing his lips. "We were young and in love." She said. "We were. I remember that freckled faced, brown haired, blue eyed girl I loved." "I remember the young boy with curly brown hair, perfect eyes, and a baby face." They smiled at eachother.

"Together?" She said. "Together." He replied.

The night fell and the light dimmed. "Bain..." She said. "Neisa?" She stood up and so did he. She put her arms on his shoulders and danced with him. He put his arms on her waist and danced with her, the frogs croaking, the crickets chipping, and the noises from the night growing. She rested her chin on his shoulder.

"Just like when I told you I loved you." Bain said. "Just like it." She replied. "I love you, Neisa. I love your eyes, your smile, your laugh, your figure, your personality, you." He said. "I love everything about you too." She replied in his ear.

They laid back in their bed and kissed each other's lips one fianl time, using each other's air to breath, before their last breaths were taken away.

Though some are mortal, love can be immortal.