Chapter 2

Eva smiled as she stepped out the door to get the rest of the groceries she had just bought. Taking a deep breath of the clean country air her smile widened as she picked up a kitten that was sitting next to the door. "One year today, one full year and everyone said I wouldn't last a month running the farm on my own. This certainly calls for a celebration, treats for everyone and cake and ice cream for me. And maybe a picnic in the cemetery with Great, Great grandma and grandpa, it's a perfect day for it," she said happily cradling the kitten in her arms and letting it play with her long brown hair as she carried it over to where the rest of its siblings were playing, "Now, you stay out from under foot while I'm carrying the groceries in," she told it, as she set it down.

After stopping to pet each of the kittens she walked back to her car and had started to pull out more groceries. One of the older cats that had been walking across the driveway suddenly froze then started hissing and growling. Eva looked up just in time to see the cat with its back arched and tail fluffed up hiss one last time at something before it raced off in the opposite direction. Grabbing a long stick that was leaning up against a small out building that sat next to the driveway, Eva headed towards the trees, "Spot if that's you I'm going to call the dog catcher!" she called angrily, assuming it was the dog from another farm that often harassed her cats.

Before she had time to realize what was happening a huge robot had stepped out from behind the trees, knocked her to the ground and pinned her there with one large hand. She cried out in shock, but didn't scream or even make a sound after that. She knew perfectly well there was no one close enough to hear her screams, something her mother had worried about constantly.

"Wh- what do you want?" she demanded trying to keep the fear out of her voice, but failed miserably.

"You'll find out soon enough," the robot replied reaching over and grabbing a couple of old tires from beside a barn. Placing them under the edges of his hand he then pressed down a little more to make sure they provided enough support to prevent him from crushing her while still keeping her firmly pinned down, then positioned his fingers so her stomach was left exposed.

Eva struggled, trying to wriggle her way out from under his hand, but wasn't able to move at all.

"Stop trying to get away, it's no use," he told her as he opened the cockpit on his chest and carefully took out a glass pod and set it gently on the ground, then braced his other hand against the ground to help support his weight.

The robot's glowing red eyes suddenly dimmed and a second later a perfect replica appeared standing next to Eva, only he was no bigger than a human now.

"What are you doing?" Eve demanded as he knelt down next to her.

"Either wasting my time or finding a way to ensure the survival of my race," he replied as his hand retracted and was replaced by a very sharp looking blade, "Now, I would advise you to hold very still, I have no desire to damage you more than necessary."

Eva struggled a moment longer as he pulled her shirt up, "Hold still," he commanded.

"Please, don't do this," Eva begged as he brought the blade closer to her.

His only reply was to suddenly cut into her stomach.

Eva screamed, turning her face to the side to avoid watching as she was cut open. The last thing she saw was the glass pod with a small robot no bigger than her two fists, a bright blue light slowly pulsing in its chest. Then everything went black as the pain overwhelmed her and she mercifully lost consciousness.

______________________________________________

"Tell me you're not doing what it looks like you're doing," Thundercracker said as he flew in low over where Starscream was.