CHAPTER XIV. the chasm

☆ | CHAPTER FOURTEEN; THE CHASM

| CHAPTER FOURTEEN; THE CHASM.

{"this is what a borrowed forever looks like; the person you love most falling into a chasm you both created and you are too far to save them"}

Sitting in the cold, dimly-lit cell, all Ingrid could think about was the irony of her imprisonment in the Republic military base. It was a place she had once brought in countless enemies of the Republic for questioning, forcing them to spill all their Separatist secrets. Now, her role had been reversed, and she was the one who would be pried for information. Most of those who had been brought in were corrupted politicians or meaningless pawns in the Separatist game, but she, a user of the dark side of the force, would be a much more difficult subject to interrogate. She wasn't afraid of clone troopers, or even Jedi for that matter. All, except for one.

The door to the cell slid open, and Ingrid lifted her eyes to see the very person she was hoping to avoid. Obi-Wan Kenobi stood at the top of the steps with two clone troopers behind him, and despite the quickening of her heartbeat, Ingrid cracked a smile.

"Obi-Wan Kenobi," she drawled, her voice hoarse from dehydration and exhaustion. It had been a long twenty-four hours for her, and the night wasn't close to ending. "What a lovely surprise."

"Hello, Furiosa," he said curtly, and her smirk faltered slightly. Ingrid didn't know what it was, but every time she heard the sound of Obi-Wan saying her new name, her dark side name, it sent a shiver down her spine.

It was a name she had chosen to strike fear in the hearts of her enemies, and the wavering voices of those who whispered her name as they begged for their lives proved her choice to be an effective one. However, it wasn't a name that belonged in Kenobi's mouth. The more he spoke of her as an enemy, the more she was forced her to forget the relationship they once had. Their time together had faded from clear memories to a distant dream, and despite knowing that clinging on to that connection with Kenobi was holding her back from finding her true potential, she was reluctant to let go.

Obi-Wan turn to the clone troopers behind him. "Give us a moment alone, please," he said, and the two nodded wordlessly before walking back down the hall. Obi-Wan stepped into the cell and the door closed behind him, leaving them alone together and reminding Ingrid of the last time they were in a cell together.

"You want quality time with me, I see," Ingrid teased. "Forgive me for the mess-" she gestured around the cell "-I haven't had time to clean up in here."

Unamused, Obi-Wan crossed his arms over his chest. "I'm not here to banter with you today," he said, but Ingrid wasn't about to give up just yet.

"Have I begun to bore you? I was under the impression you enjoyed our little exchanges," Ingrid stood up from her place on the stiff metal bench that had been built into the wall of the cell and made her way over to Obi-Wan slowly. "If you want, I could... spice it up for you." She stopped a mere few inches from him, their faces nearly touching. Ingrid had attempted to bring his guard down, but she found herself disappointed as his expression remained unbothered, and instead she was the one whose confidence wavered.