CHAPTER XVIII. world in ashes

☆ | CHAPTER EIGHTEEN; WORLD IN ASHES

| CHAPTER EIGHTEEN; WORLD IN ASHES.

{"our bodies were maps of destruction and pain, our faces the aftermath of a world in ashes."}

When Bail Organa first caught sight of Ingrid Faye, the ordinarily composed Senator drew his blaster from beneath his cape. His guards followed in suit, preparing to fire upon the young woman. In response, Ingrid merely held up her hands in surrender, the desire to fight drained from her completely.

"Don't shoot!" Obi-Wan stepped in front of her, shielding her from any potential blaster fire. "She's with me."

"Master Kenobi, with all due respect, do you know who you're talking about?" Senator Organa said, sending a hateful stare Ingrid's way. Despite her lack of a pre established relationship with the senator, his sentiment towards her stung. She knew deserved it- she had done too many things to the Republic and the Jedi to be forgiven so easily. Obi-Wan had forgiven her because he knew her true nature, as well as how much she wished she could take back the last two years of her life, but the rest of the galaxy would not be so understanding.

Ingrid and Obi-Wan had made it off Utapau by way of a Separatist two-man fighter, slipping by both the clones and the droid army without a scratch. In the starship, Obi-Wan had sent out a distress signal to the Order, seeking assistance after the betrayal of his clones. Senator Bail Organa had been the only response, sending them the coordinates to his ship, the Tantive IV, and delivering to them news that only made their situation more grim: clones had turned on their Jedi Generals all across the galaxy.

Deep down, the two had known this before the Senator had confirmed it- a feeling in the force had caused them to think the worst. Often when Ingrid had such ominous feelings, it was only a taste of what was to come- should she make the wrong choice. There had always been a warning, so that she could prevent the worst from coming true, or at least prepare for it. However, this time, she had not been afforded a warning. There was nothing she could do, there was no preparation.

Even after she left the Order, the presence the Jedi had in the force had always, secretly, been a source of comfort. Knowing there was a light to return to should she dig herself down too deep into darkness provided her something to fall back on, some hope that she would not lose herself to the dark side completely. Now, however, that light was diminishing. Ingrid could feel a constant chill across her shoulders, like a dark presence moments away from digging it's clawed fingers into her skin.

"Do you know how many lives of Jedi, clones, and Republic civilians she has been responsible for taking?" Organa continued, and Ingrid's gaze fell to her feet. How many lives had she taken away in the name of the dark side? She hadn't even bothered to count. She wondered if not knowing the number made her feel better or worse.

Obi-Wan sighed and glanced back at her. "Yes," he said. "But-"

"Been led astray, Miss Faye had," the gravelly voice of Master Yoda interrupted Obi-Wan as the small Jedi Master hobbled into view. At his presence, Ingrid's heart leapt into her throat. "However, returned to us, she has, and responsibility for her actions, she has taken. Redemption, she seeks, and a chance to achieve it, we must give her. " Surprised by his words, Bail stared at Yoda with his mouth agape, and the Jedi Master met his gaze with a stern but gentle look. Bail lowered his weapon.