Chapter 4

Rory had driven to New York on Thursday afternoon and stayed with Finn. He stayed home on Friday and waited to see her off for her interview.

She walked out of the guest room all ready to go.

"You look great love." He hugged her and kissed her on top of the head. "The car is waiting downstairs, go knock em dead."

"Thank you Finn. I don't know what I'd do without you right now."

"Hey now, no tears, I know you're hormones are wonky but there's mascara and red eyes to worry about," he said with a wink.

Rory chuckled, "right. I'll text you when I'm done and we'll meet at the restaurant."

He nodded and pushed her out the door.

She got to the building with the Condé Nast offices and went to the front desk for a visitor badge. When she got upstairs, they were ready for her right away. She walked into the office and got the surprise of her life.

"Hello Rory. Nice to see you again."

"Hello Mitchum, I wasn't aware that you would be here," Rory said and shook his outstretched hand.

"Forgive the intrusion, I'm on the executive board and sit in on most of the interviews. When I saw your name on the agenda, I didn't want to miss it. This is Alan Peterson. He is the Senior Editor in charge and also on the board."

A man that was about fifty years old with brown hair, about the same build as Mitchum, reached his hand out. "Pleasure to meet you Rory. I have heard many, many good things about you."

"Thank you very much."

"Have a seat here and let's get started," Alan motioned to a chair at a small table.

The nausea was much better, but seeing Mitchum, the grandfather to be, definitely made her lunch rise back up. She swallowed it back down and sat.

The interview took about an hour. They were considering her for a floating junior editor position. She would move between many of their publications. They usually kept two or three of these on staff to fill holes wherever they were needed. When a position came open that they thought was a good fit, they would move the person permanently and then rehire the floating editor. It was how most got their start for them. 

At the end of the interview, Rory realized she hadn't been able to tell them about the pregnancy. She also realized that she really didn't want to tell Mitchum yet. They shook hands, and she thanked them for the interview and their consideration for the position. Mitchum had behaved himself, and it genuinely appeared that he thought she was a good writer.

After she exited the building, she found a bench and called up to Mr. Peterson's office and explained to the secretary that she needed to speak to Mr. Peterson but didn't want Mr. Huntzberger to know it was her. She connected her.

"Hello?" He answered the phone after a short hold.

"Mr. Peterson, did your secretary explain?"

"Yes."

"I'm sorry to bother you again, but due to the history between myself and the Huntzberger's, there is something you need to know but I would prefer that he didn't."

"Ok."

"Am I right in assuming that he is still there?"

"Yes."

"Ok, I will be quick then. I am twelve weeks pregnant with Logan Huntzberger's child. Under normal circumstances, it would be ok for Mitchum to know, but Logan has made himself unreachable. I would like to tell him before I tell his parents."