Chapter 16

Logan and Rory muddled through the next week. Shira had scheduled meetings with the interior designer whenever they could be squeezed in. Rory was trying to pack in extra work before she would go on maternity leave. She was at the point where the prenatal appointments were once a week. They had supper with Christopher on Monday night, who was skeptical at first about their seemingly quick decision to get married, but they talked it out and gained his support. Logan was also going in to the office even though he wasn't technically working yet. All that and Rory had hit the point in her pregnancy where she was getting big and very ready to finally meet their baby.

They scheduled an ultrasound for Friday morning. Rory took the day off so that they could drive to Stars Hollow that afternoon and spend a little time there. She was dying to know the sex of the baby and having Logan back meant she shouldn't have to wait much longer. There were still so many things to talk through together. Their week had been so crazy that, by the time their heads hit their pillows, they just wanted to hold each other and enjoy the time they had left just the two of them.

Logan had been at Rory's appointment Tuesday morning and heard the heartbeat. She had watched the wonder on his face that came from hearing it in person for the first time. He had met her doctor, who noted how much happier Rory seemed. Now, they were sitting and waiting for the radiologist to come and show them their baby.

"Are you ready to see it?" Rory asked and tried not to chuckle at his nervousness. "And to stop calling it 'it'?"

"Absolutely Ace," he said as he kissed her hand that was held in his.

He came in and introduced himself. Usually the radiologist didn't perform the ultrasound, but when the name Huntzberger is involved, you don't get the usual. He spread the jelly and started checking on all of the important things about the health of the baby and Rory.

"Alright, everything looks great. Rory, you're an excellent incubator," he said with a wink. "Baby looks healthy. About six and a half pounds. I understand you would like to know the sex?" They both nodded but didn't utter a word. "Well it looks like you will be welcoming a beautiful little girl into the world in just a matter of weeks. Congratulations."

They looked at each other and smiled. Neither had much of an opinion on what they would prefer...they just wanted a healthy baby. Now they knew it would be a girl.

"Another Gilmore girl in my world, I think I had better get a shotgun soon to ward off all the boys," he said with a chuckle and leaned in to kiss her.

The radiologist said, "I'm going to give you two a few minutes while I print some pictures for you."

Neither Rory or Logan heard him, their eyes were locked on each other's, foreheads resting on each other's. Both had huge grins and tears in their eyes. 

"Thanks for not letting me miss this Ace."

"Nothing on earth could have kept me from getting you home.  I had some pretty elaborate plans if your dad wasn't able to find you," she said with a wink.

The radiologist came back in, and they separated.  "Alright, I have included several copies and even one that says 'it's a girl' for announcements.  Congratulations!"

They took their pictures and said their thank you's. 

It was time for a quick lunch with their friends and then off to Stars Hollow.

When they got to the restaurant, they were led to a back room, the waiter left them at the doors but didn't open them.

When Logan opened them, all they heard was "Surprise!"