Chapter 18

When Logan woke up that morning, he felt a little lighter.  Their relationship struggles in the past had always revolved around a lack of communication, but now it felt like they were on the right track.  He had been completely honest with Rory about his absence, and she hadn't left him.  He knew that there would be conflicts for the rest of their lives, but if they were able to work through this, then it set a good course. 

He got up early and went down to see if Lorelai was around.  There were some things he needed to discuss with her.  Sure enough, he found her in her office.

"Logan, good morning!  Did you sleep well?"  She asked, only seeming a little surprised to see him.

"I slept great, thank you."

"What can I do for you?"

"Do you mind if I sit?"  Lorelai nodded and he sat across from her.  "I want to talk about the wedding."

Her expression softened, "the wedding?"

"Well, Rory said something last weekend that stuck with me...it's not workable to get married before the baby comes, even though she would like to."

"Alright..."

He took a deep breath, "I'd like to marry Rory on Friday, I've got a plan, but only if you're ok with it." She nodded for him to continue.  "Robert and Colin can both marry her, but Robert would do it.  Colin would stand up for me and Finn for Rory.  Then we would renew our vows next year on our anniversary with everyone there."

"Just you four?"

"Yes, I know she would want you there, but-"

"But it's not about me Logan.  Those three have done so much for her in the past months, it's ok for it to just be you guys.  And you can't have Peter Pan without The Lost Boys," she said with a grin and a wink.

"You understand?"

"I do...I eloped with Christopher last year, and, as misguided as that was, I get it.  If Luke asked me to run away and get married, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Some things are intimate, meant to just be a certain few.  Rory is all grown up, and I can't be there every step of the way anymore.  Actually, that's your job now.  It's fitting."  She looked at him closely, "I'm glad that you have been able to work through things.  I will admit that when you proposed in May, I thought it was too soon.  Funny how things can change so quickly.  I didn't envision this for Rory, but she took something life changing and made good out of it.  I won't fault you for being gone, either, I get being heartbroken.  It's what you guys do from here on out that matters."

"That means a lot Lorelai.  Thank you."

"There's something else I've learned through all of this...you and I? We're a lot alike. I always used to think you were just like Christopher...and you still are in some ways, but we can relate on a lot of things. The other thing I've learned is that Rory is a lot like Luke. As I came to these realizations, I came to understand the two of you a lot better. So when I say that I support you two and I understand, I promise you that that is the god's-honest truth." She put her hand on his and squeezed it. "Now, it is way past time for breakfast. Maybe you should go wake my beautiful daughter up?"

He chuckled, "I guess I should."

He got back up to the room, and she was just ending a call. "Good morning beautiful," he said as he leaned in and kissed her.

"You look happy, where did you sneak off to?"

"Oh just exploring, who was on the phone?"

"Luke. He said to come into town for breakfast."