Training Days:Part 3

One More Year Later

Smiling I focused my energy on freezing my entire body. Within seconds my body was encased by cool ice all over. Aubri smiled at me and gave an excited thumbs up. Approaching energy had me turning and ducking. The long dagger barely missed me but it wasn't long before another one came my way. This one was stopped by the wall of ice that shot out of my outstretched hands. Five more daggers came my way from different angles. I didn't have time to dodge them all safely so with a deep breath I spun and blew out ice cold air freezing the daggers in mid air. Immediately I kicked out at the daggers and broke them all in one swoop.

"Excellent," my sister praised. I was about to nod but I turned and grabbed the speeding dagger aimed at my head. Using the objects momentum I spun it on my finger and threw it back to the source. I heard it hit something that grunted. With a grimace I turned back to my sister sheepishly.

"Pleeease tell me you didn't kill my boyfriend," Aubri groaned with a roll of her eyes.

"Okay, I didn't kill your boyfriend," I laughed. She glared and hit my arm. The ice was like a shield so I didn't even feel anything. With a shrug I walked toward the forest while Aubri went to check on Anthony. Every step I took left a patch of frost on the ground until I pulled the ice back into my body. I was already barefoot so there was no pausing. As soon as I walked into the forest two blue and purple fairies rested on my shoulders.

"Tetra. Zule. How is Blu?" I asked quietly. My first best friend had become sick over the past year. I would blame his 3,000 years of life, but his father was still alive and kicking. Something was wrong. Something that banned me from visiting him. Fairies don't get sick and they certainly don't fall into coma's like Blu did. Over the past year three other fairies had been thrown into coughing fits then into a coma. No progress was made but the forest began to suffer when the king fell into the sickness. The forest is spritually connected to the king and with his sickness the forest became sick. The trees drooped and the flowers barely bloomed and never to their full potential. My sister, Anthony, and I have been trying our best to maintain the forest but it's nothing compared to Blu's power. I had to find out what was wrong with him.

"He still hasn't moved, but his face grows paler by the day," Tetra sadly informed me. Zule said nothing and kept his blue eyes downcast. Sympathy made me frown at the thought of this young boy becoming king if Blu didn't make it. These thoughts quickly pushed worry and sympathy out with determination.

We have to save him. As we walked through the forest it became eerily silent and a slow crawling mist grew throughout the forest.

"The forest is frightened," Zule whispered.

"Something is here," I replied while sharpening my senses. With sharper ears I could hear the leaves falling from trees as autumn came upon us. My eyes picked up the slightest shift of earth as bugs crawled for cover. When I took in a breath instead of the earthy scents of the forest, rancid smells attacked my nose. The smell was unnatural and it wasnt good. I positioned myslef into a defensive stance and Tetra hid high in the trees while Zule grew brighter as he focused his magic.

We didn't have to wait long before crunching twigs and leaves let us know there was something big coming toward us. I gasped as a 7 foot creature showed itself. To be frank it was a monster. It resembled a mishapen bull without horns. Large pores in it's skin seeped black goo, that burned the forest floor once it made contact. Red jewel like eyes rested in hollow eye sockets, but those eyes were unseeing. I wasn't sure it saw us until it lifted it's nose and took in a deep breath. When it's mouth opened I covered my mouth at the disgusting smell.

"Mia, I have searched far and wide for you my dear. We have some unfinished buisness to attend to. You are no longer of age for permanent death, but I have found ways to destroy you forever." The voice was a gravely version of my aunt's. She did this? What. The. Fuck. Before I had time for another thought the creature charged. Escaping its path I let out a blast of ice freezing the creatures arm. Looking confused it moved its arm around before growling and hitting its arm against a tree shattering the entire arm. It cried out in pain and I frowned. What an idiot. The monster took steps toward me before blue energy wrapped around it's neck. Zule pulled hard trying to topple the monster who fought back sluggishly. I let my own energy flow and pushed the monster to the floor. Tetra's little head popped out of the tree canopy and she whispered some unfamiliar words. Tree roots wrapped around the creature holding it down. Slowly the black goo corroded the trees making Tetra groan in pain.

"How do we kill it?" I asked. Zule's answer was cut off by a new voice. A woman's voice.

"You don't." Like some sort of ninja she dropped from the tree tops landing gracefully. She wore a beautiful knee length cream dress that accented her slim but curved body. A bow and quiver of arrows rested on her back but that's not what caught my attention. It was her features. Hypnotizing violet slanted eyes stared out from a sophisticated angular face. Her coco skin was beautiful and unflawed though she frowned with her full lips. The pointed ears kept attracting my attention. An elf? But she's not short, if anything she's taller than me. The cold glare she gave had my anger rising.

"And why the hell not?" I snapped. Her glare intensified and I saw her fingers twitch.

"Because that monster has my brother inside if it," she growled stepping forward.

"Yeah? Well this monster is a hideous gift from a woman trying to kill me. If you know how to get your brother out, be my guest but if not that's unfortunate," I told her sarcastically without an ounce of warmth. If possible, her glare became death wishing. Looking her up and down evenly,I stepped away and swept my arm toward the struggling creature. She pointedly ignored me and walked toward the creature. Pulling out a small vile she proceeded to drip the blue contents into one of the goo oozing pores. The creature stilled before a putrid rotting smell filled the air and an inhuman cry came from its mouth. I plugged my nose and gagged as the smell continued even when the cry dwindled. The pores grew until it was now a misshapen glob of bubbling black goo. Slowly the black stuff became watery leaving a figure unconscious on the ground.

"Avel!" The elf woman cried out and rushed to the figure on the floor. When she touched him the man curled up and coughed wetly. Scrunching up my face I couldn't help but imagine what he could be choking on. With his sister's help the man stood taller than her. Opening his eyes through the goo his glowing lavender eyes scared me with its haunted look. When he turned to look at his sister he seemed confused.

"Aria? How'd we get here?" The beautiful woman stared at him sadly and I could swear I'd seen tears forming in her eyes. She refused to meet his fearful eyes.

"Two weeks ago a small group of abominations came into our village. They killed everything they touched with the black ooze pouring from its skin until the goo turned yellow. Then it set on a few villagers you included. The yellow then turned black and we thought we had lost those touched. Except we didn't. It expanded and enveloped you until you were a monster too. Father came but it was to late you'd already killed two guards protecting me and escaped through the gates. You seemed as if something had called for you. He told me that he'd encountered something like that long ago. Then gave me sage water with instructions to follow you and give it to you," from here she paused and her lower lip wobbled. Tears already streaked through the ooze on the man's face and I couldn't help the tears that were forming in my own eyes.

"You nearly destroyed a village before you slowed down and came here," she finished with a rough voice from holding back her years as she gazed sadly at her brother. He held out his hands while staring before shaking his head wildly and running away from us through the forest. Aria stood and glanced at me briefly.

"I'll be back, when I am I want answers," she demanded before taking off after the gooey man. I glared at her back and marched away toward a tree that Zule and Tetra had hidden in the minute Aria spoke.

"Fuck this, I have to warn Aubri," I muttered before running off towards home. That elf better not expect me to still be here after she tracked down her smelly brother.