Ghouls

Making it back to the house I knew Aubri was alarmed. Anthony was quickly loading up a big black SUV with hastily packed boxes and bags. The front door was open and I hopped onto the deck in one bound.

"Mia! Grab Nicoli for me please. I have to grab my tapestries," my sisters voice called as soon as I stepped into the house. Immediately. I went to grab my nephew in his playpen. He gazed up at me with his glowing mismatched eyes. The red in his eye gave away his hunger. Great timing. I scooped him up and began disassembling the playpen and putting it into an open box labeled for it.

Where are we going to go? I really couldn't go back to Papa's. He'd go crazy. Literally, and i still need to train and unlock my past. Maybe then I can figure out how to stop the running and death.

Right now though I could only hope Aubri has a second safe house or something. I mean she sees the future for craps sake. After energy blasting the box to the front door I went looking for my big sister.

"Aubri?" I called out just as a dark feeling crawled down my spine when my call was meet with silence. Walking into my sister's room I noticed the lights all off which was odd. I tried to switch on the light but it didn't even flicker. Nicoli grabbed a fistful of my hair and whimpered. I held him closer and focused on the waiting energy inside of me. Willing it to fill my hand, a light blue ball of energy illuminated the room. An overturned lamp had my heart speeding up as I looked into her closet only to see the back door open. Biting my lips I was at a crossroad with Nicoli. I didn't want to bring him in there with me but I couldn't leave him by himself. Familiar footsteps approaching answered it all for me. Anthony entered tentatively with his hand resting against a small pouch filled with a weapon he refuses to demonstrate for me.

"Anthony, I need you to hold Nicoli while I go check on Aubri," at first he was automatically going to hold the boy he treated as his own. By the end of me speaking he pulled his hands back and reached for his pouch. Giving me an exasperated stare I had to give myself props for even trying.

"Fat chance. I'll go. Stay on guard, Aubri told me her protection spell was breached over 5 times in one hour." I watched him go into the room and prayed that he came out of there with my sister alive. As I turned I frowned watching a particular shadow dance. It shifted and slithered across the wall towards a shadow cast by the huge bed. Like a sponge it soaked up the darkness and became a large man figured shadow. What the hell is that thing?! With an inhuman screech it surged forward and swung out with a large clawed arm. I ducked down and scrambled to the right just in time. Thrusting my hand out I shoved the bright energy toward the creature causing it to back away with a shrill groan. Hmm, obviously light will be my weapon.

I just couldn't leave Nicoli ungaurded. Forming a bigger ball of energy I hollowed it out by pulling in some of the energy. Movement from the corner of my eye pulled my attention from my task. The shadow creature moved cobra fast and struck out at my feet. Tumbling to the ground I held tight onto Nicoli and squeezed my eyes shut preparing for the pain of landing on the hardwood floors. Just before I landed the weight in my arms disappeared. Opening my eyes I bugged out seeing that I no longer held my nephew. Searching the room, my heart began to race when I couldn't see him. The shadow creature didn't care that I had lost my nephew. It swung at me catching me square in the jaw. When it's arm met my cheek I screamed at the burning pain traveling across my face. Creating three basketball sized energy formations, I threw them with as much strength as I could. Two hit the creature directly in the chest and the third whizzed past it crashing into the windows shattering glass. The shadow tried to dodge the energy but they blasted straight through it's barely tangible form. A high pitched scream came from the creature as two holes burned through it's chest. Crashing onto the bed it writhed in pain and I jumped to my feet running for the door. I had to find Nicoli.