For Better Or For Worse

The morning was quite a bright one for Ben, the sun was blaring down onto him as he walked across campus, greeting the other pupils as he walked past. He finished his journey as he found his table by the lunch hall doors. He noticed a few people missing from the table, there was – Jane – Lonnie – Doug – Jay – Carlos – Then it hit him. Evie and Mal weren't at the table, Ben knew that they would never miss breakfast even if their lives depended on it. As he took a seat next to Doug, Audrey and Chad walked past and stared the Table down whilst taunting them "I see Mal and Evie aren't with you, maybe they are hiding from the rest of you freaks" Chad exclaimed as they both walked away. Jay Clenched his fists under the table waiting to wipe that smirk look off his face. Ben wore a worried look on his face as did Lonnie and Jane. Doug cleared his throat and the others turned their attention towards him. " Actually, Evie text me this morning saying that she and Mal are going to take the day off but she never said why, we assumed that you knew" his voice grew quieter towards the end of his declaration." Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go and found out" Ben and the gang soon rushed to the girl's dorm room to only be greeted by a slightly cracked open door. Jay took a step towards the door to peer in, as he did the others followed behind him, peering over each other's shoulders.

The room was dark, all curtains closed and lamps turned off. Lonnie and Jane gasped as their eyes drew towards Mal and Evie. The girls were surrounded by crumpled up tissues and screwed up blankets were laid on the floor. Doug tried to rush over to Evie's side but was stopped by Carlos and Jay who pushed everyone to the side as they rushed to their sisters. Ben regained his composure and went straight to Mal's side as Doug did the same for Evie. A couple coughs came from both bedridden girls. "Mal, are you okay? Do you need to see the school nurse?" Ben barely taking breaths between words. Mal would have shaken her head no, but her head was in so much pain that any movement caused her discomfort, so she just made a grunt signalling for no. "I think we just have the flu or something, I swear we will both be fine" Evie struggled to keep the volume the same in her voice as it became raspier as she went on. "No way in hell are we leaving you like this, what happened to the promise we made back on the Isle Evie?" Jay's voice stern in tone. Lonnie and Jane had suggested that they take shifts in looking after them, of coure, Carlos and Jay agreed to this but Ben and Doug were a bit reluctant. "Ben, Doug, honestly I believe that they just have the flu, Mal can't speak right now and Evie wouldn't lie if she and Mal were in serious pain." Jane tried to reason with them while Carlos held her hand in his. After some serious thinking, Ben decided to take the first hours shift to watch over the girls. He agreed to run little errands for them like get more tissues or spoon feed them medication.

Doug bowed his head and left with the others to go to morning registration and excuse Ben, Mal and Evie from their morning lessons. Ben sat by Mal's side for most of the hour, just rubbing his thumb up and down the back of her hand, hoping it would soothe her. Evie had managed to sit up in bed, with Ben's help of course, and she read her latest fashion magazine that Doug had brought her yesterday. Mal fell asleep a while ago, sure she wasn't active right now but he was able to still spend some time with her. He just wanted more times like this, just him and her, however, the knock at the door indicated that his shift was over and Carlos was ready to take over. Carlos walked in and sat at Evie's sewing table giving Evie as small smile as his sat down, which she returned. Ben smiled towards Carlos but his eyes told Carlos that he wasn't ready to hand Mal over. He bent down to Mal and lightly kissed her forehead "I promise that I will always love you no matter how sick you are, For better or for worse, right?" he whispered in her ear. When he arose, he gestured a goodbye to Evie and left the Girls dorm, Craving Mal.