You want to be friends?

Arnav POV
I kept pacing back and forth in the waiting area of the hospital. Its now almost 45 minutes. The doctors are still treating Khushi.

"Arnav can I talk to you for a minute?" Aman called out to me.

I wanted to ask him the reason for interrupting me at such a crucial moment. But then he gestured towards Lavanya and then pointed towards the end of the hospital corridor.
I understood that he wanted privacy from that girl. So I nodded in return and together we walked a few feet away from Ms. Kashyap.

"What is it Aman?" I asked in a rough voice still angry over the fact that he took me away from Khushi.
"Should we inform someone about Khushi's condition. I mean her family...?"
He asked in a nervous tone.
"You did not check her file?" I asked in surprise. Was not Aman the one who investigated everything about her?
"Not exactly. I asked a few of my trusted sources to investigate everything about her. And I did not feel like going through her file. I respect her privacy." He said looking on the floor keenly.

And that very moment I felt all the more guilty for intruding in Khushi's life. I was so used to betrayal in this world that circumstances forced me to check and recheck every person  I get close to.

"Umm. Her file said that she has no family. She is an orphan and that girl Lavanya is her close friend and flat-mate."
I repeated robotically what I saw in her file.

"You are feeling guilty for hitting her with your car?" He asked looking at me straight in the eye.

"I dont know what I feel Aman." I said in a devastated tone. And walked back leaving our conversation abruptly.

I sat beside Lavanya. We were both silent for a while. Not knowing what to say.

"Dont worry for her Mr. Raizada. My Koko is super strong. She is a fighter." She said all all of a sudden. I felt awkward for a minute and then nodded.

"Why do you call each other Koko and Lolo?" I asked in return trying to fill the silence.

"Khushi and I are childhood friends. But when we first met each other, we were going through a difficult phase of life. However, we got along really well with one another. One day we were eating ice cream, which was half spilled on our clothes by the way. And we got into a playful fight and rubbed the cones on each other faces. And in fun we started calling one another Lolo and Koko. From that day onwards we use the same endearment for each other."
She said with a teary smile on her face.

And I smiled trying to imagine a child version of Khushi.

"Mr. Raizada. The patient is awake now. You can go and meet her. And please let her rest for 2-3 days before doing any sort of work." The doctor declared and the three of us were left with happy faces.

A few minutes later, Lavanya, Aman and I all went inside the room where Khushi was resting. Her eyes were open but downcasted.

"Koko. Babes you okay? I was so worried. I know what you did alright? You purposely pushed me away to make sure that I stay unharmed. You fool. How could you?"
Lavanya was crying and screaming at her.

But her words broke something inside me. This girl is selfless. She saved her friend and took the hit. My guilt was reaching to a new level now.

"Koko..Mr. Raizada was the one who hit us by accident. His car lost control. But look how he repented. He brought you here immediately. And has been so anxious to see you."
Lavanya gestured towards me. And I felt embarassed all of a sudden.