Loathing And Kittens

A/N yeah, I know there are typos in the video, it's not mine

Roman's POV
Did I tell Virgil that Joan is non-binary? Oh well, I guess we'll find out together.

We have an... interesting... car ride.

First, it was me driving, Joan in the passenger seat, Logan behind me, and Virgil in the very back, for some reason. He said it made him feel safer and more secure, but I don't really know how. I decided not to question it and let him sit wherever.

All was fine the first half hour. Virgil was listening to music, although I could see him dozing off. Logan was reading Harry Potter, though I caught him looking up and around more and more often. And Joan? Well, let's just say they're not one to argue sleeping in a car.

I drove while listening to some musical songs. Currently, it is 'Defying Gravity' from Wicked, but I have the playlist on 'shuffle', so it could very well be 'Waving Through a Window' next.

I hum along and tap my fingers on the wheel, then start mumbling the words.

The chorus starts. I of course respect the sleeping passengers and still only mumble the words, no matter how much I feel the beat and power in each lyric.

I stop my speak-singing when I hear someone start to sing along. I can't tell if I'm imagining it, but it's very quiet. Joan is asleep and Logan doesn't sing, but he can rap like Hel. Heh, Norse Mythology reference.

I take a glance in the mirror when the road widens and clears a bit to see Virgil- what looks like to me- mouth the words. He could be singing along, I can't tell. If only he were a little louder...

"You can sing if you'd like, I won't mind. Joan is a heavy sleeper," a say back to the boy who apparently didn't know I saw or heard him. (Yeah, I know I just said I couldn't hear him, but I heard him earlier this song).

He snapped his head up and through the white foundation (which he swears he doesn't use) I can see a blush across his face.

I just chuckle and turn the music up a little. I start to sing, in an attempt to invite him, and he accepts.

"What is this Feeling". Perfect.

"What is this feeling? So sudden and new."

"Felt it the moment I laid eyes on you," I hear a quiet voice behind me.

"My pulse is rushing," I say, a bit louder, as if I'm challenging him.

"My head is reeling," he shoots back, a smirk growing.

"My face is flushing!" I smile at his new found confidence.

"What is this feeling?" We harmonize together. Apparently I'm not the only one in the car who likes musicals.

"Vervid as a flame. Does it have a name?"

"Yes," we both hold out the note, and I raise my pitch to match Glinda's.

"Loathing! Unadulterated loathing!" we are both smiling very large as we continue, failing to keep a faux taunting expression.

"For your-"
"Face."
"Your voice!"
"Your clothing."

"Let's just say- I loathe it all!"

"Every little trait, however small, makes my very flesh begin to crawl." He sung that last part while rubbing one arm with his hand, as if it was his skin. (I mean, yeah, it is his skin, but... Oh, just focus on the song!)

"With simple, utter loathing,"
"There's a strange exhilaration," Virgil fanned himself. I think he would play off Glinda right now.
"In such total detestation!"
"It's so pure, so strong!" We've probably woken Joan and maybe Logan by now, if he was asleep, but I'm having too much fun to care right now.
"Though, I do admit, it came on fast. Still, I do believe that it can last,"
"And I will be loathing, loathing, you my whole life long!" we finish that section.

"Dear Glinda, you are just too good! How do you stand it? I don't think I could." I hear two voices join in- one from beside me and the other directly behind me. Granted, one sounded like a robot, but I'll give points for participation.
"She's a terror, she's a tarter, we don't mean to show a bias, but Glinda, you're a martyr!"

"Well, these things are sent to try us!" I sing in my girliest, most feminine voice I could manage.

I saw Joan turn around to look at Virgil to sing this next part.

"Poor Glinda, forced to reside
With someone so disgusticified."

They turned to me and (after removing my hand from the wheel) shook my arm while singing,

"We just want to tell you, we're all on your side! We share your-"

Then no one sang.

We started to laugh before I asked,
"Does no one know the next lines?" through a chuckle.

I see a lot of heads shaking.

"Really? It's just 2 different parts!"

Awkward silence.

"Oh, well. You guys, and Joan, can go back to sleep now," I wave them off.

"'And Joan'?" I hear a voice pipe up behind me.

"Yeah, did Roman not tell you? I'm non binary. They/Them pronouns, please!" Joan turned around to tell Virgil the news.

"Sorry, Joan," Virgil mumbled.

"It's cool. I'm gonna sleep now," they said, pulling their beanie over their face.

The car was quiet, as I turned my music down.

I don't know how on Earth this was managed, but somehow, Virgil ended up with his feet on Logan's shoulders as Logan didn't even seem to notice, being too engrossed in his book.

Joan ended up in the very back with their beanie in their mouth. And Logan ended upside down in the passenger seat.

Don't ask me how Virgil's feet are on Logan's shoulders, but trust me, they are.

Oh, yeah, and somewhere along the way we picked up a stray kitten and named it Talyn in honor of the one friend who couldn't make it. The kitten was also completely black and hissed at us, so of course we named him Talyn.

It was only a 45 minute drive.

With that being said, let's go into the festival.